Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 830 g5
Linux

Hello, I need to find out the Super I/O chip model and manufacturer in HP EliteBook 830 g5 in order to control my fan when running Linux. In case you have the Linux driver for it as well I'd like that too :D. Right now my fan is going on max speed even though the CPU is on 15% load, 55C, so I'm a bit desperate.

Relevant sensors-detect output:

Some Super I/O chips contain embedded sensors. We have to write to
standard I/O ports to probe them. This is usually safe.
Do you want to scan for Super I/O sensors? (YES/no): Probing for Super-I/O at 0x2e/0x2f
Trying family `National Semiconductor/ITE'...               Yes
Found unknown chip with ID 0x2011
Probing for Super-I/O at 0x4e/0x4f

I know it's probably by National Semiconductor, which is under Texas Instruments, and the ID is 0x2011. The probe does nothing though.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Sponge5

HP Elitebook 830 G5 is a series of many machines with many configurations/options. But for CPU, each machine can have an Intel Gen 7th or Gen 8th processor/CPU and its chipset Integrated with processor.

You can ask Intel about your requirement.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I've scanned the Intel documents and apparently they do not integrate Super IO with the processor (at least in my case, i5 8250U). The Intel PECI, that gives info to the kernel module Coretemp doesn't give the fan speed, only information from the DTS, that is core temperatures. Which probably means there's a Super IO chip on the mobo which has all the other juicy information. The mobo is HP 83B3. There's a big chance I'm wrong and I'm making a fool of myself here, but I'm desperate and each time I google some equivalent of getting fan speed from PECI/coretemp I get results that reinforce my suspicion.

HP Recommended

I still need this to be resolved. The super IO is not integrated with the processor and I need the model. Where can I find it?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.