Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Omen 17
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The area to the right of my Omen’s touchpad, just beneath the arrow keys, is severely swollen. I purchased this Omen 17.3 in laptop in 2017, so the 2-year warranty just expired. I’m assuming it’s the battery that has swollen. Will HP do anything to resolve this?

I’ve only seen this sort of thing happen once before, with a 7-year-old MacBook my wife owned. I have liked the function and style of the Omen, but if this is what is going to happen right after the 2-year warranty expiration, I’m not sure I’ll be sticking with the brand.

Edit:
I am accepting the solution offered below, because HP Support did, in the end, send me a new battery. However, I wanted to offer a PSA to anyone else experiencing this issue, since getting the new battery required a long conversation, in which the support representative initially told me there was nothing they would do. 

A swollen, potentially flammable battery is a serious safety issue, and other HP batteries from the 2017 timeframe have been recalled because of it. Is HP waiting for someone's house to burn down before they authorize replacement of swollen batteries in Omen laptops? Make sure you hold HP accountable for the safety of its customers. There is no reason, during the reasonable expected lifespan of a laptop, that a swollen battery should not be replaced free of charge, warranty or not.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Somethingblue

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @Somethingblue

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am accepting the solution offered below, because HP Support did, in the end, send me a new battery. However, I wanted to offer a PSA to anyone else experiencing this issue, since getting the new battery required a long conversation, in which the support representative initially told me there was nothing they would do. 

A swollen, potentially flammable battery is a serious safety issue, and other HP batteries from the 2017 timeframe have been recalled because of it. Is HP waiting for someone's house to burn down before they authorize replacement of swollen batteries in Omen laptops? Make sure you hold HP accountable for the safety of its customers. There is no reason, during the reasonable expected lifespan of a laptop, that a swollen battery should not be replaced free of charge, warranty or not.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.