Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Power 15-cb079nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Trying to determine what kind of SSD Slot my laptop HP Pavilion Power - 15-cb079nr has. The Hp support virtual assistance has been unable to provide any information.  I am trying to determine if I want to upgrade the current main hard drive if I need to purchase an mSATA,  Standard m slot or b slot M.2 or of I can get an NVMe based SSD for the fastest performance. Please help me... this should be easy to find readily available information. I am very disappointed in HP over this matter that should be very simple.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I figured it out.  For some reason the previous owner had placed an mSATA adapter and drive into the slot where the SATA hard disk would normally be.  This time when I opened the laptop case I was able to spot that it also has a sandisk x400 M,2 2280 128gb SSD.   So that confirms that it should be compatible with any of the newer M.2 based SSD drives available.    Thank you for all your help and I hope my conclusion helps other users with similar laptop models to confirm there is an M.2 Slot on at very least model 15-cb079nr/

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the service manual for your notebook.

HP Pavilion Power 15 Laptop PC* Model numbers: 15-cb000 – 15-cb099 Maintenance and Service GuideIMPO...

Chapter 1 has the supported drive types.   If your notebook has a M.2 slot, it supports both SATA and NVMe SSD's.

Some model notebooks that did not come with M.2 SSD's do not come with the M.2 slot, but when I look at chapter 3 of the service manual, I do not see any additional parts to add a M.2 slot like I see in some other models.

HP Recommended

It currently has a 120 GB SSD that I am attempting to upgrade to a 1TB SSD.   I already checked the service manually initially and it does state there should be an M.2 Slot/Drive  But what I'm confused by is when I opened the Laptop to change the battery the SSD already in the computer appeared to be an mSATA drive manufactured by Kingston when I looked up the model number of the drive.  So could there be an mSATA drive in a slot that is also backward compatible with M.2?

HP Recommended

You'd have to show me a screenshot of what you see because the manual does not indicate that the notebook has a mSATA slot.

A mSATA slot does not look like a M.2 slot.  It is much wider.

HP Recommended

I figured it out.  For some reason the previous owner had placed an mSATA adapter and drive into the slot where the SATA hard disk would normally be.  This time when I opened the laptop case I was able to spot that it also has a sandisk x400 M,2 2280 128gb SSD.   So that confirms that it should be compatible with any of the newer M.2 based SSD drives available.    Thank you for all your help and I hope my conclusion helps other users with similar laptop models to confirm there is an M.2 Slot on at very least model 15-cb079nr/

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.