Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ProBook 450 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I noticed none of my USB devices were visible/accessible in "This PC". In Device Manager, USB Root Hub (USB 3.0) had status "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)". So, I uninstalled the device and scanned for hardware changes. No joy. I ran hardware diagnostics on the system (quick) and everything passed. I then ran the diagnostics on each USB port. One of my USB 3.0 ports failed. The other USB 3.0 port and the 2 USB 2.0 ports checked out fine. So, as long as I leave the failed USB 3.0 port empty, the other ports work fine.

Is there a way to determine exactly what the failure id means? I really would like to have both of my USB 3.0 ports! Is there a way to fix this short of replacing the system board? My warranty expired earlier this year.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Look on p. 19 of the Manual here:

Manual

The USB 2 ports are on a daughterboard which could theoretically be replaced separate from the motherboard but unfortunately the USB 3.0 ports are part of the motherboard. I might fill in the bad USB port with nonconductive hot glue and keep using the computer with the one usb 3 port.

Other than that to repair the port would take removing the board and finding one of those rare solder wizards to try to solder on a new one. Since the other port is still good we know the controller is OK and it has to be a physical electrical problem with the bad port. That is what the Code means.

Most repair places (Best Buy and HP I mean you) would just say "new motherboard". 

Post back with any more questions. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Look on p. 19 of the Manual here:

Manual

The USB 2 ports are on a daughterboard which could theoretically be replaced separate from the motherboard but unfortunately the USB 3.0 ports are part of the motherboard. I might fill in the bad USB port with nonconductive hot glue and keep using the computer with the one usb 3 port.

Other than that to repair the port would take removing the board and finding one of those rare solder wizards to try to solder on a new one. Since the other port is still good we know the controller is OK and it has to be a physical electrical problem with the bad port. That is what the Code means.

Most repair places (Best Buy and HP I mean you) would just say "new motherboard". 

Post back with any more questions. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Hi,

I would take to a store where they also repair smartphones. Here we frequently havo to solder micro usb ports, battery connectors and so on. I am sure they would be able to perform the job of soldering a new USB 3 port to the motherboard.

The ports themselves are very cheap.

Hope it helps,

David

HP Recommended

@iomare

Just for the record, what can be expected in terms of cost for such a repair? I am going to guess minimum $100, likely more maybe much more. 

HP Recommended

@Huffer

Last week we replaced two USB 2.0 ports on laptop (the only two ports it had) for 45€ here in Italy. 5€ for the two ports and about half hour of work.

HP Recommended

I wish you could get a technician with any skill to do anything in the US for 50 bucks but thanks for the information. 

Thats what they ought to charge. 

HP Recommended

Thanks @Huffer, that is what I suspected. I'll probably just live with a single USB 3 port for now. We have a local business that does smart phone repair for $60/hr and they are wizards. But, they were recently acquired by FoxPaw, so I don't know.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.