Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
A4G29AV

Ever since the latest Windows 10 upgrade, I have not been able to use my USB ports. HP does not have updated drivers on their system.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@CindyB3,

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More. I understand you have an HP Pavilion G6t notebook and I read that you are having issues with the USB ports not working after the recent Windows 10 upgrade. No worries, I'll be glad to help you.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you installed a retail copy of Windows 10 or OEM version of Windows.

Are you having issues only with one USB port or all the USB ports available on the PC?

Have you tried to uninstall the USB root hubs from the device manager?

Have you tried to check for any updates available for your PC?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

As you have mentioned correctly there are no software and drivers available for Windows 10 on your PC. However, in Windows 10 it should automatically detect the drivers.

If you are having issues, you would need to rely on generic Windows drivers. If you wish, you can revert back to the original Operating system which was shipped with the PC.

Alternatively, I would suggest you could try these steps before reverting back to the original Operating system.

Check for updates:

Select the Start button, and then go to Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and select Check for updates. 

If the issue persists, I would suggest here is to update the Bios and Chipset drivers from our HP support website, using this link(Drivers from Windows 8).

Once done, restart the computer and check if that helps.

If the issue persists, I would suggest here is to uninstall the USB Root hub from device manager.

Restart the computer and check if that helps. 

If the issue persists, try to update the USB root hub and check if that works.

For more details, please follow this link: HP PCs - Troubleshooting USB Connections (Windows 10, 😎

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

that said, If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have done all you recommended (except go back to my original operating system, which I don't want to do). Nothing has worked. I've worked around the problem by uploading my photos to Google One Drive and so, accessing them on my PC from there instead of connecting my phone to the USB (which I can no longer do). I'm thinking maybe my PC is too old, or the USB ports are just dead. However, when I do connect my phone, it is charging through the USB port, but there is no connection. Also, my mouse is not working in its USB port, I have to use the touchpad.

HP Recommended

Hi @CindyB3, I am the Mr.Robot. It looks like you were interacting with @Jeet_singh, but he is out of the office today, so I'll take over from here.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

As you mentioned the issue still persists after trying out the steps. And none of the USB ports is getting detected.

Try the steps recommended below.

Fix "USB port not working" error with Universal Serial BUS controller

1. Right-click on Windows logo > Select Device Manager.
2. Expand "Universal Serial BUS controllers" > Find the device with a yellow exclamation mark.
3. Right-click on it and select "Update Driver Software..." > Choose "Search automatically for updated driver software".
4. If there is no new update, right-click and select Uninstall > OK.
5. Go to the Action tab in the Device Manager window > Select Scan for hardware changes > Then the USB port will appear.
After this, reconnect your portable devices to your PC and there your USB or SD card etc devices will show up on your PC now.
If it still not working, relax and follow Method 2 to get your issue solved.

Also, You have to perform a perform a reset on your PC to isolate if it is a hardware or a software issue.

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps, it is a hardware issue with your PC.

Hope this answers your query!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I did as you suggested and it still did not work. It must be a hardware issue.

HP Recommended

@CindyB3, Thanks for your quick response and time again.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

As you mentioned the issue still persists after trying out the steps.

If you have performed a reset on your PC and if the issue still persists.

It is a hardware issue with your PC. I will share out few details through a private message regarding the service options for your laptop.

Please watch your inbox for more information.

Hope this answers your query!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.