Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 14-dq1033cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have HP Laptop 14-dq1033cl with following configuration

Processor : Intel i5-1035G4 CPU 1.10 Ghz 1.5 Ghz

RAM : 4GB SODIUM DDR4 SDRAM

System : 64 Bit Operating System, x64 based processor

Storage : 128GB SSD

Disk Driver : LITEON CV8-8E128-HP

Storage Controller : 

1. Intel Chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller
  2. Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller

I want to upgrade total storage to 1TB, but want to check if this laptop can support 1TB SSD or not and whats is compatible SSD for this Laptop model.

Any suggestion ?

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hello @roydonp,

Yes, you can upgrade your M.2 SSD to a larger capacity M.2 or NVMe PCIe SSD. Samsung EVOs are pretty good although there have been a few reports on the forum of incompatibility.

One SSD that was recommended by an HP Expert, Mr. Huffer, was the Samsung PM961 which is essentially a Samsung EVO 950. You also have some options from Crucial here.

Replacement procedures begin on page 32 of the Maintenance and Service Guide here

Regards,

Eddy

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.
HP Recommended

@roydonp 

Its specs

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c06463284

It has  128 GB M.2 SSD (SATA) now. you can upgrade to 1TB using  (NVMe):

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/hp-14-dq1033cl/CT16305113

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I cloned the original SSD to new one, but laptop failed to boot with following message

hp-recovery.jpg

HP Recommended

I have a costco sourced HP 14-dq1033cl with the I5. I have upgraded the memory to 12G with no problem, but when I upgraded the SSD with a 2TB Sabrent Rocket the touchpad and wifi stopped working. I am guessing this has to do with PCI lanes, but would appreciate confirmation and any insights or workarounds anyone might have. When i put the original 125G ssd back in everything works.

Thanks

Gary

HP Recommended

I have the same laptop but have not replaced the hard drive. Are you sticking with S Mode Windows? You might have better luck if you switch out of S Mode on the original drive, and clone it to the new drive.

There is another thread with info on getting the needed drivers installed on an M2 PCIe drive if using factory reset to put S Mode on the new drive.

HP Recommended

Hi. Yeah, first thing I did was take it out of S mode …. Also, the new SSD was working fine and I started installing a fresh copy of windows on it, but the absence of a touchpad and internet connection made that a bit challenging as well as purposeless. Something in the presence of the 2TB drive was interfering with other hardware on the computer.

Any thoughts?

Gary

HP Recommended

Rather than a fresh install, can you get Windows the way you want it on the original drive? Just in case, download all the drivers from the product page to have handy if you need them. You can get there via the HP Support Assistant but might open in your browser behind the HP Support Assistant window. Install Macrium Reflect (free edition) and use it to make a clone to the new drive via a USB enclosure. Then hook up the new drive and see if everything works. If not, reinstall missing drivers from your downloads.

Might have to adjust partitions and such once you get everything working.

HP Recommended

I upgraded to a Samsung 1 TB M.2 and added 8 GB of RAM and it boats and works fantastic

however I also want to add an SSD but unfortunately I cannot locate a sata  ribbon cable anywhere because this particular model has an eight pin. The manual indicates a cable that is not correct nor have any of the other posts received a satisfactory answer from HP. There is room to add an SSD and all I need is the appropriate cable does anybody know where exactly one can be purchased?

HP Recommended

Just by way of fyi, I took a 512GB Samsung 970 evo from another computer (left the Win10 os on it) and it has the same problem ... no network or touchpad.. I also downloaded the hp network & touchpad drivers on another computer and took them over on a flash drive and installed them, again with no luck. In device manager it shows the network being happy, but when I opened it, it showed no hardware present. Anyone have any kind of idea what is going on here.

Gary 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.