Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 13-4193nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The other day my display cracked right at the bottom left corner.  Everything was Ok until the crack spread upward into the viewable portion of the screen.  Now I have ghost touches and my touchscreen is unusable.  I can't even use the laptop because of all the false touches caused by the cracked glass. 

Does anyone know how much HP charges to repair this?

Also, I'm pretty handy and have worked on laptops in the past, so I'm comfortable working on them.  I see that HP has an Exchange 2 display for about $532.  Anyone know what condition the Exchange parts are in?  I'm hesitant about refurbished items because they sometimes are dinged/scratched and I kept my screen and lid looking like new the past two years I've owned the laptop.  Is there a reputable dealer that I could get the part I need for less and install it myself?

Any advice is appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Screen Surgeons is reputable and well known. I have no list of repair shops as this Forum covers the whole world and it would be difficult to have such a list and it would constantly be changing. You can likely find a Youtube showing how to do the repair. Cell phone repair shops also are a good bet as their techs are very skilled at replacing touchscreen glass and if you get the part you can usually negotiate something fair for the replacement labor. They seem to charge less than computer shops. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

I have replaced lots and lots of laptop screens so I like to consider I know what I write about. The "Exchange" you see on the HP Parts list is a new screen. That price only applies if you have an original part that failed, not one that got cracked. You would have to pay the higher full price from HP. 

The first thing to figure is whether you cracked the glass over the display or the underlying screen. If the image is not distorted underneath it is likely you just cracked the glass. HP does not sell the glass as a replacement part but lots of reputable vendors do. You are looking at maybe $125-175 for the glass and digitizer. 

The whole screen with plastic housing, etc. you will not find for less than about $275 on a very good day. But the labor to put on a new screen assembly is much easier than replacing just the glass. 

Not sure if any of this registers so I will wait to see if you ask for more help before typing any more. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for the quick reply. 

There are no distortions or black dots on the screen.  When I closed the lid, a piece of grit pressed into the screen right on the bottom edge and I believe the top layer to be all that is broken. 

I called HP and they quoted me $635.79 for the repair cost.  I just can't pay that much for a screen replacement.  Not too much more and I could get a whole new laptop!

Would it be possible to get a list of repudible dealers that you know of and trust who could get me the parts or perform the repair?   I see a webiste called Screen Surgeons that offers the digitizer+screen for $175.  Have you ever heard of them?   I would need a heat gun or maybe a hair dryer to heat the lid and release the glue holding the bezel/screen, but I think I could swap out the parts on my own. 

I'm interested in your thoughts on this subject.  Thank you again for the help.  I appreciate it. 

HP Recommended

Screen Surgeons is reputable and well known. I have no list of repair shops as this Forum covers the whole world and it would be difficult to have such a list and it would constantly be changing. You can likely find a Youtube showing how to do the repair. Cell phone repair shops also are a good bet as their techs are very skilled at replacing touchscreen glass and if you get the part you can usually negotiate something fair for the replacement labor. They seem to charge less than computer shops. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.