Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Zbook 15 g2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I acquired an old ZBook 15 G2 with 16GB main memory, as confirmed by BIOS and Windows. My question: Where is this memory located? When I open the service cover, I see two empty slots, which are probably for expansion memory (see attached photo).

zbook memory.jpg

In case I should have to replace primary memory, what do I do? 

While I have the maintenance manual, it does not tell me where primary memory is located. According to the instructions, I need to remove the battery and the service cover, nothing else.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello
if it is this document

HP ZBook 15 G2 Mobile Workstation Maintenance and Service Guide

It seems that two modules are not modifiable

In the exploded view you have two references indicated

Illustrated parts catalog

4 Primary memory module (PC3L, 12800, 1600-MHz

(21)Expansion memory modules (2, PC3L, 12800, 1600-MHz)

[edit]

Capture d’écran 2021-05-24 103255.pngCapture d’écran 2021-05-24 103417.png

And there I do not know if it is me, but it seems to me to see two identical things, I think of an error

lowest motherboard replacement

Capture d’écran 2021-05-24 103925.png

[edit] should be easier with this

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello
if it is this document

HP ZBook 15 G2 Mobile Workstation Maintenance and Service Guide

It seems that two modules are not modifiable

In the exploded view you have two references indicated

Illustrated parts catalog

4 Primary memory module (PC3L, 12800, 1600-MHz

(21)Expansion memory modules (2, PC3L, 12800, 1600-MHz)

[edit]

Capture d’écran 2021-05-24 103255.pngCapture d’écran 2021-05-24 103417.png

And there I do not know if it is me, but it seems to me to see two identical things, I think of an error

lowest motherboard replacement

Capture d’écran 2021-05-24 103925.png

[edit] should be easier with this

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Thanks, and yes, this is the document I am referring to. It states clearly that I can change primary memory, but as you say, instructions are suspiciously similar to the ones for extended memory. Might indeed be a mistake. Perhaps memory is soldered to the motherboard.

HP Recommended

reread the answer I found a video

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

Oh wow. The maintenance guide does mention the optical drive, which I considered to be a small mistake in the description. Thanks a lot!

HP Recommended

😉

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.