Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 17T-BY000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Eventually, even the extended warranties expire, and a laptop owner is on his own for repairs.

Why doesn't HP make it easier for the owner to make simple repairs like replacing the battery?

I had to remove 15 screws, remove the optical drive, and peel off the entire bottom of the case (not easy) just to replace the battery.

Ridiculous.  HP could have made the battery removable with one button or latch without the necessity of even opening the case.

Then there's the cheap rubber strips attached to the bottom by spirit gum.  The spirit gum (or whatever it is) eventually smears and makes a mess.  Is this the best HP engineers can do?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

I have exact same problem.   

Raised a HP case and paid $500 for HP technician to replace a seized hinge that had jammed pushing the display screen out of Back Cover.   hinge jammed at 45degree angle so could not close lid.  Required Back Cover to be replaced because there were plastic screw points broken inside the solid looking metal cover.  Technician noticed that battery was swollen.  One of the rubber feet would not stick back on after base case was opened and battery plus other components had to be unplugged and cables disconnected to reach hinge screw points. Plus for hinge replacement screen has to be completely removed and unwired then put back.  Special tool for tiny star centered screws needed.

Hinges break and batteries swell or become fire dangers.  Known issues. 

Both should be able to be safely removed and replaced without special tools and by the laptop owner.

Battery replacement in Dell XPS = cost of battery.    Not sure yet for this situation and HP.

I have a swollen battery put back in and reported back to HP by the technician. 

No response yet from the tech team at HP support.  Was  phoned to say they had the report from their technician.

Phone people have to get Tech assessment.  

I hope most of the stuff in these swollen batteries can be recycled without using heaps of energy / water. HP Engineers need to care about future design.   

HP Recommended

I had the same hinge problem, but fortunately it happened when my laptop was still under the 4 year extended warranty I opted for when I purchased the computer.  I usually don't buy extended warranties, but IMO they are well worth it for laptop computers.

There is a new company which is making laptops that are designed for easy repair.  I will be looking into it when I make my next laptop purchase.

HP Recommended

@Epicurus1

Welcome to the HP Support Community! I'd like to help!

I see you are experiencing issues with the HP Notebook Battery. I apologize for the inconvenience. 

Laptop batteries can be replaced. Earlier battery removable was with one button or latch without the necessity of even opening the case. Most HP laptops require the removal of the back panel for a battery replacement. There may be some rubber feet on the back panel that you’ll need to remove before you can access the battery, but this depends on your HP laptop model.

Replacing your HP notebook battery doesn’t have to be difficult. However, if you feel complicated than you are willing to take on or if you’re worried about harming your laptop, you should consider contacting HP technical support. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click on the YES button to reply that the response was helpful and/or to say “Thank You”.

Have a great day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.