Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Elitebook

I have been using my HP Elitebook to do research & Pay bills for some time. All of a sudden it won't open Windows. Shows me time & date with windows below saying Weather. Markets & trending NBA. When I hit any key screen goes dark. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

What caused the problem in the first place?
Power glitch? Upgrade to windows 11?
Microsoft or HP update? Add a new device, memory, etc?
BIOS upgrade that went wrong?
Have you run diagnostics?
Tap the ESC key after powering on and press F2 to run diagnostics.
Do not allow any updates if disk or memory fail, especially a BIOS update.

If you can pass diagnostics then bring up windows safe mode

Click here to see how to start your system in safe mode.

Skip down to "Enter Safe Mode from outside Windows" and use the F4 key for safe mode

Bring up the window device manager and look for errors.
If you find an error then try to update the driver.

Possibly system files are corrupted. You should run the system file checker when in safe mode.

This third party site explains how to use DISM and SFC to repair your windows system. Run only SFC. Do not run DISM unless SFC reports it cannot fix the corruption.
How to use SFC or DISM to repair Windows

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.