Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

HWmonitor is a good tool and it gives a lot of information. However nothing about the fan speed for the new HP zBook series. In the thread above I see that users have notice the fan speed. But I didn't find a tool for it.

HP Recommended

On my ZBook Studio x360 G5, HWinfo v6.02 does show the CPU fan speed (it's the fan sensor value called "CPU"). Do you have a different version?

You may want to try a tool called nbfc or "NoteBook FanControl" (Link to its GitHub site.) It does only show the fan speed very approximately, but it lets you adjust the fan speed, as long as the system stays cool enough. Using the configuration for the HP ZBook Studio G3 in nbfc (there is currently no newer configuration available), about 10% target fan speed, and ThrottleStop to set processor performance / power consumption based on actual usage (e.g. SpeedShift = 140 for normal work, 60 only for very perforamance-critical work, and disable Turbo if you do not need it), I was able to reduce the fan noise substantially during most of my "normal" work. 

This is still not a solution, but an improved workaround compared to just using cpu throttling with Windows energy settings. I got better performance and less noise.

HP Recommended

Hi I have bought a Zbook G15v G5 and I tried to upgrade with extra ssd nvme and 8GB RAM module. But  the temperature gets high since I start the laptop without doing nothing.

I have unistalled the ssd nvme and have left installed 8GB RAM, and now the temperature gets high ramdomly.

But as said someone at first I need this kind of laptop to work with virtual machines and develop apps and I need mobility too, it is a pretty expensive laptop and this temperature issue is a very weird thing.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi all who have similar issues with the HP G5 "Mobile workstation". I would like to share my ongoing experience as i believe I have got the best possible solution possible with this inadequate thermal solution:

• Do NOT use Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (XTU)
  • Instead install "ThrottleStop" and HWMonitor

Using Throttlestop you can keep turboboost enabled but reduce the maximum boost speed and other power consumption tweaks. This is not for novice users but it's also not super difficult if you just read the guide. Here's what I have done to reduce power consumption and thus reduce fan noise:

- enable 'speedshift'

- Reduce the 'offset voltage' (i.e. undervolt) for CPU and GPU

- Reduce the turbo ratio limits for multiple cores as follows: 1:38, 2:35, 3:35, 4:30

- Reduce the turbo boost long power max to 18w

- Reduce the short boost max to 25w

I hope this helps

HP Recommended

Hi,

In our team we have 7 systems with the same configurations ( HP ZBook 15 G5 with 32GB Ram .i7 etc.) ,all of us are facing one or the other issue with this laptop. Heating issue is common,so we neglected that. We are using CAD tool for designing PCB.Whenever we are trying to open 3D PDF (even with less data) this laptop will hang. we checked this in all our Zbook,result is same.

but if we try to open 3D PDF (even large data) laptop with lower configuration systems (like i5 with 8GB RAM) will smoothly open it and we can use it efficiently.

So we reported this to our IT and HP technical team,till now no positive result. 

Now this got escalated to higher levels.

Regards,

Dinkar

HP Recommended

Hi Andreas - what specific chip are you undervolting?

Wouldn't that make a difference with regard to your settings specified in your post?

Thanks,

SFB

HP Recommended

You can also solve this problem by changing the minimum processor state to ~50% when plugged in or on battery under Power Options->Advanced settings->Processor power management->Minimum processor state (Change to 40%).  Fans will go silent.

HP Recommended

The zbook series is so expensive, the heat dissipation effect is very poor. Although there are two fans, the CPU has only one heat pipe. The same level of Dell is 2 heat pipes, while MSI's WT75 is three heat pipes. The machine overheating and frequency reduction problem can not be solved, this is the factory belt, HP as a large factory cooling design is too disappointing.

HP Recommended

I assume you mean the maximum processor state. Yes, that is a workaround for the fan / heat problems, and may be an option e.g. to silence the fans during a meeting. But with this setting, you get the performance of a cheap ultrabook that costs a fraction has half the weight of the ZBook. So you certainly do not buy a ZBook to use it with this setting.

HP Recommended

hi @SuperFlyBoy, i didn't mention the voltage since all chips are different but here are the voltages i'm currently running:

CPU + Cache (Must be the same): -90mV

GPU: -75mV

I'm also limiting the Turbo boost as follows:

1C: 4.2

2C: 3.8

3C: 3.5

4C: 3.2

This works quite well as my CPU now sits 48-52c during basic office tasks and always <80c 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.