Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

can't get an hp8450 photo printer to work with a newer windows 10 computer. I get "cannot delete output file" message with hp printer doctor

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @manhattanman1,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like you're encountering an issue with your HP 8450 photo printer not working properly with a newer Windows 10 computer, and you're receiving a "cannot delete output file" message when using HP Printer Doctor. Here are a few steps you can try to troubleshoot the problem.

• Restart Your Computer and Printer: Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve connection issues between your computer and printer.
  • Check Printer Connections: Ensure that your printer is properly connected to your computer via USB cable or network connection. If using a USB connection, try connecting the printer to a different USB port on your computer.
  • Update Printer Drivers: Visit the HP website and download the latest drivers for your HP 8450 printer that are compatible with Windows 10. Install these drivers on your computer and see if it resolves the issue.
  • Run HP Print and Scan Doctor: Instead of HP Printer Doctor, try downloading and running HP Print and Scan Doctor, which is specifically designed to diagnose and troubleshoot printing problems with HP printers.
  • Check for Windows Updates: Make sure your Windows 10 operating system is up to date. Sometimes, installing the latest Windows updates can resolve compatibility issues with hardware devices like printers.
  • Check Printer Spooler Service: Open the Services app on your computer (search for "Services" in the Start menu), and check if the "Print Spooler" service is running. If it's not running, right-click on it and select "Start."
  • Temporarily Disable Antivirus/Firewall: Sometimes, antivirus or firewall software can interfere with printer communication. Temporarily disable any third-party antivirus or firewall software on your computer and see if the issue persists.
  • Check File Permissions: Ensure that you have the necessary permissions to delete files in the printer's output folder. You may need to adjust the permissions for the folder where print jobs are spooled.

By following these steps, you should be able to troubleshoot and resolve the issue with your HP 8450 photo printer not working properly with Windows 10.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.