Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 15.6 inch Laptop PC 15-e2000 (2J4V9AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

Hello, I been trying to use the HP partsurfer to try and figure out how to find a compatible part# to replace

the 256GB SSD with a 1TB or 2TB SSD  but it wont let me ask how to find upgrade SSD part#.

So I will give you as much info about my HP laptop so I can get some help.

HP 15.6 inch Laptop PC 15-e2000 (2J4V9AV)

SKU/PRODUCT # 4J771UA 

AMD Ryzen 5 5500U with Radeon Graphics

x64-based processor

baseboard & PRODUCT #   HP 887A

this is the part # and maker of the 256GB SSD that is in my laptop now. 

KBG40ZNV256G  name is from KIOXIA  

the partsurfer came up with these numbers for the SSD 

L78719-001   SSD 256GB PCIe NVMe  Value 

I hope these numbers helps you to find the 1TB or 2TB SSD  I need to upgrade. 

and can you give me several different  brands names and part#  so I can choose? 

thank you in advance 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

512 gig was the largest offered by HP from the factory as so:

512 GB, PCIe, TLC L78720-001

You do not need to source an M.2 SSD for your laptop from HP however. Any NVME M.2 SSD with PCIe 3.0 will work fine. PCIe 4.0 SSDs would work, but would only run at the 3.0 speed so a bit of a waste to get the newer hardware. And you are not limited to 512 gig. I have had excellent luck with Samsung Evo and Evo Plus products like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-MZ-V8V1T0B-AM-980-SSD/dp/B08V83JZH4/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=Samsung+980+E...

The site I have linked offers a 1 TB for $45 which would be much less than HP would charge for its 512 gig. You can also find 2 TB versions of the Evo 980 (not the Pro) on amazon.com and that one would work fine, too. 

In case you need it:

Service Manual 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

512 gig was the largest offered by HP from the factory as so:

512 GB, PCIe, TLC L78720-001

You do not need to source an M.2 SSD for your laptop from HP however. Any NVME M.2 SSD with PCIe 3.0 will work fine. PCIe 4.0 SSDs would work, but would only run at the 3.0 speed so a bit of a waste to get the newer hardware. And you are not limited to 512 gig. I have had excellent luck with Samsung Evo and Evo Plus products like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-MZ-V8V1T0B-AM-980-SSD/dp/B08V83JZH4/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=Samsung+980+E...

The site I have linked offers a 1 TB for $45 which would be much less than HP would charge for its 512 gig. You can also find 2 TB versions of the Evo 980 (not the Pro) on amazon.com and that one would work fine, too. 

In case you need it:

Service Manual 

HP Recommended

hello Huffer,

thanks for your very good info on what SSD I can get.

I need to ask you I have like 200GB already downloaded on the 256GB SSD thats in my hp laptop.

I'm not to technical so can you tell me how to put all the data thats on my old SSD and after I put in the new 1 or 2TB SSD how do I put all the windows 11 home and all my other data into the new SSD?

and if new SSD does not have windows 11 home on it how do i even boot it up then follow your instructions how to get all my data from old SSD and then put it all into new SSD?

I have never done this before.

thanks for your help again  curt

HP Recommended

Several ways to do it. 

"Cloud Recovery" might be the easiest. This will restore a fresh factory image onto a new clean hard drive or SSD.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_4511095-4511141-16

You are right you will buy it blank and have to put software/data back onto it. You can use the old SSD as an external disk and then transfer files and data from it to the new drive after you get the factory image onto it. You can also clone the old drive to the new using cloning software and first attaching the new drive to the laptop externally using an NVME M.2 to USB adapter. Cost about $15-20 on amazon. It's a very useful piece of equipment to own in any event. Macrium Reflect Free is a good cloning app. 

https://www.amazon.com/SSK-Aluminum-Enclosure-Adapter-External/dp/B07MNFH1PX/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=NVM...

Post back with any more questions and we can walk through at whatever pace you need to proceed. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.