Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion g6-1310sx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

hello , need your help , 

i have this laptop since a while , and it serve well , and i don't want to change it and buy a new one , it will cost me money , so  my laptop has core(tm) i3-2330M 2.20 GHZ installed in it , can i change it to AMD A10-4660M with radeon HD graphics 2.30 GHZ or not ,  and my motherboard (model:166F), ... plzz need your help

and thank you  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

No. There is no way in the world to chage from an Intel to an AMD processor. The sockets where the processor plugs into the motherboard and all the circuity in the motherboard are different so it is a square peg, round hole kind of thing. 

Some of the HP Support documents like manuals are down right now but if memory serves, even your Intel processor cannot be upgraded bacause it is soldered to the motherboard. 

We get this kind of question a lot and it is a wonder to me that people think upgrading a laptop processor is a trivial thing that costs very little. Quite the contrary. It is a very delicate piece of work that requires significant technical experience and is far from costless. A single high end laptop processor can cost more than a whole low-end laptop. If you have to pay somebody else to do the labor, a laptop processor upgrade is rarely a good value compared to a new laptop. 

These days, a laptop is kind of like a cell phone. Use it until it no longer meets your needs, pass it down to the younger generation or sell it and buy a new one that does what you want. The manufacturers are making it harder, not easier to upgrade them and to keep them skinny more and more components are soldered flat to the motherboard. 

Post back if you have any more questions. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

No. There is no way in the world to chage from an Intel to an AMD processor. The sockets where the processor plugs into the motherboard and all the circuity in the motherboard are different so it is a square peg, round hole kind of thing. 

Some of the HP Support documents like manuals are down right now but if memory serves, even your Intel processor cannot be upgraded bacause it is soldered to the motherboard. 

We get this kind of question a lot and it is a wonder to me that people think upgrading a laptop processor is a trivial thing that costs very little. Quite the contrary. It is a very delicate piece of work that requires significant technical experience and is far from costless. A single high end laptop processor can cost more than a whole low-end laptop. If you have to pay somebody else to do the labor, a laptop processor upgrade is rarely a good value compared to a new laptop. 

These days, a laptop is kind of like a cell phone. Use it until it no longer meets your needs, pass it down to the younger generation or sell it and buy a new one that does what you want. The manufacturers are making it harder, not easier to upgrade them and to keep them skinny more and more components are soldered flat to the motherboard. 

Post back if you have any more questions. 

HP Recommended

thank u , i'll look forward 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.