Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, 

I am having tremendous problems with my HP notebook and am in desparate need of assistance. 

My laptop has been running painful slow. As in, sitting and waiting for anything to load for 10-15 minutes at a time. Word documents freezing every 5 minutes, for 10 minutes. 

No movement whatsoever. It's been horrendous. I can't work like it.

The frustrating this is that the laptop is empty. I have next to nothing saved on it, as I only use it to work (I am a writer). 

Anyway, I went through loads of problems and suggestions and tried to fix it, but after having spent two days if trudging along at an excruciating pace I decided to run a factory reset. 

Anyway, I've done this and it was working beautifully for all of 5 minutes, and now it's back to 100% disc usage and I have no idea why.

I've tried everything!

Is it the free antivirus software that I am installing?

I really an lost, and if this keeps up I'm going to start losing clients 😞

Please advise!

Many thanks, 

Jack 

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Enjoi89 

Before we can help, we need to know what EXACTLY is your machine ? Please use the following instructions to find out the model/product of your machine:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824

or

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

Please do NOT post its Serial number (s/n).

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

@Enjoi89 

A painfully slow laptop is very often caused by a failing hard drive -- and a factory reset does nothing to fix that problem, it only makes it worse.

Because you did the factory reset, Windows Update is now going to spend HOURS downloading and installing updates -- and that will drive the disc usage to 100% while it is doing it.  I don't know why folks think a factory reset is the miracle cure, but it is not.

You will have no choice now than to wait until the Windows Updates are done.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.