Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ENVY M6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP Envy laptop has been getting slow lately and I noticed with almost nothing really running the disk always says it is using 100%. When I try to use it the computer will lock up on me. When I check the task manager and look at the processes running it says 100% of the disk is being used.  If I scroll down the list it's not much of the hard drive being used. I googled a bunch of fixes for it and tried a few but nothing seems to work. Is it Windows or is my hard drive going bad?? I'm not sure what is going on with it. 

HP ENVY M6 ( m6-n113dx)

Windows 10 Home 64 bit

AMD FX-7500 Radeon R7 2.10 ghz

6.00 GB RamScreenshot.png

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

This is not spam. Not sure why someone flagged it. 

HP Recommended

@imakemagic,

Thank you for posting your query on HP Support Community,

• Have you run complete hardware diagnostics on the computer to eliminate hardware failure?
  • Did this happen after a windows or software update do you remember?
  • Have you run virus and spyware scans on the machine?

• For a start, please perform complete hardware diagnostics on the computer to ensure that the hardware is fully functional.
  • If any failure code gets displayed for a failed component, then please make a note of it. The computer needs to be serviced as it could have a hardware failure. Please run both extensive tests and component tests. It takes about 2 hours to run.
  • If all the tests pass, then please run virus and spyware scans with very reliable security software to quarantine them or delete them if found.
  • Next thing, I would suggest here is to Run Windows Updates troubleshooter -

Download and install the troubleshooter from this link.

Now try to perform a Windows update:

1) In the search box, type and open Windows Updates. 

2) Check for updates. 

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

If the issue still persists, I would suggest here is to update the Bios, chipset and graphics card drivers on your computer from  HP Support Assistant Updates - 

1) In the search box, type and open HP Support Assistant. 
    2) Check for updates. 
    3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer. 

• Later please perform all the prescribed steps from this document for slow performance issues. Please perform only those steps that have not been done yet by you.
  • Also please perform all the prescribed steps from this document HP PCs - Using Task Manager (Windows 10, 😎
  • Please check which process is eating up CPU and computer resources and make a note of it Then follow all the steps mentioned in the document to try and resolve the issue.
  • Please check this Microsoft document for enhancing performance issues and perform the relevant steps.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I just started using this laptop again and I'm still having the same problem with 100% disk usage on my HP ENVY M6 laptop. It's been this way for a while, I don't think it got worse after any software or windows updates. I did a full system scan with Norton antivirus and it didn't find anything. Just to be sure I also scanned it with Malwarebytes and it also came back clean.  I used the Windows update troubleshooter and then updated to the latest version of Windows. I was still having the same problem with slow performance and it said I had 100% disk usage. I ran the HP Pc Hardware Diagnostics tool and selected System Extensive test.. I let it run overnight and everything passed. I'm running the Component test tonight. Hp says I have all the latest updates through the support assistant.   

HP Recommended

@imakemagic,

In this scenario, I would suggest the next step would be to perform a recovery using the recovery media. 

You can try to use the one which you have created soon after purchase of this PC. If you haven't created one. I would recommend you contact our HP support team to order a set of recovery media for your PC.

To know more about how to order a set of recovery media, please make use of this link

Let me know if you need any further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help you.

Take care and have a great day!

Cheers 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I went to the link you provided and there are no options under software to get a set of recovery media. I don't remember creating any when I first got my computer. I'm still using the original hard drive with the recovery drive.  All the other test I performed passed also. 

HP Recommended

I would suggest you could try to use HP Cloud Recovery Tool which allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive.

Or else you may contact our HP support team to help you order a set of recovery media for your PC.

HP support team can be reached on this link

Let me know if you need any further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help you.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.