Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion Slimline 400

Going through my deceased sister's things I found her Pavilion 400 with a sticky-note attached regarding the 1720 SMART hard drive failure - Failing drive SATAO, Failing Attribute 5. I learned on this HP Community conversation thread that the hard drive will need to be replaced.

Here's my dilemma: she didn't leave me her username/password! Stupid question: will my local computer repair guy need them in order to both replace the drive and test it?

George B

Montgomery, AL

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@GBub 

Basic answer is no.  Local repair shop will most likely (1) put in a new drive, (2) install Windows from media they load to a USB stick.

So, when you get it back, it's basically going to have nothing on it but Windows.

If you want the old drive, to try to recover files from it, then be sure to tell them NOT to reformat the old drive. 

After you get the PC back, come back here and we can tell you how to hook it up to try to recovery files from it.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.