Did you mean: 
GBub
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

1720 Eminent Failure - Drive SATAO plus Computer Access Dilemma

HP Recommended
Pavilion Slimline 400

Going through my deceased sister's things I found her Pavilion 400 with a sticky-note attached regarding the 1720 SMART hard drive failure - Failing drive SATAO, Failing Attribute 5. I learned on this HP Community conversation thread that the hard drive will need to be replaced.

Here's my dilemma: she didn't leave me her username/password! Stupid question: will my local computer repair guy need them in order to both replace the drive and test it?

George B

Montgomery, AL

1 REPLY 1
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
30,764 30,671 2,801 6,763
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@GBub 

Basic answer is no.  Local repair shop will most likely (1) put in a new drive, (2) install Windows from media they load to a USB stick.

So, when you get it back, it's basically going to have nothing on it but Windows.

If you want the old drive, to try to recover files from it, then be sure to tell them NOT to reformat the old drive. 

After you get the PC back, come back here and we can tell you how to hook it up to try to recovery files from it.

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation