Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Probook 4430s
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have four of these old 4430s probooks.  All four of these have the same problem, so it does not seem to be a hardware issue.  Somehow the read capability of the dvd rom has been disabled.  The drive shows up in device manager, but will not read a cd or dvd.  Can someone please help me with this problem?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@jbeiler 

Then, about all you can do is run the HP diagnostics and see if those check the optical drive.

To run the diagnostics, press the Esc key repeatedly while rebooting and when the HP Startup Menu appears, press F2 to run the diagnostics.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@jbeiler 

You said "old" notebooks -- so one thing in common with all of them is probably the age -- and that makes this likely a hardware issue.

The DVD lens gets dirty over time and eventually, it gets so dirty that the laser can not clearly project to the disk.  When this happens, you need to buy a DVD "cleaning kit" which is basically a disk with fiber whiskers on it which, when rotated, brush against the lens and clean it.  They use to be around $20 USD.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, but as I said, I have four of these notebooks.  DVD roms are all squeaky clean; I think they have never been used, because they won't read the contents of CD or DVD.   Similar problem with the SD card reader; but the USB ports do work.  Same problem on all 4 notebooks.  -- Jon.

HP Recommended

@jbeiler 

Then, about all you can do is run the HP diagnostics and see if those check the optical drive.

To run the diagnostics, press the Esc key repeatedly while rebooting and when the HP Startup Menu appears, press F2 to run the diagnostics.

HP Recommended

Thanks - I think you are right.  Not sure of the provenance of these computers.  They may have been rejected at some point because some components didn't work. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.