Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion DV6-2155DX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey guys, hopefully a quick question here...

I recently upgraded a couple things on my (admittedly somewhat ancient, HP Pavilion dv6-2155dx Entertainment Notebook PC). But the upgrades have given it new life (for now anyways). I swapped out:

1. The factory spindle HD for a 500 GB SSD and,

2. The factory 4 MB RAM for an 8 MB

Note: I would like to move to a faster processor but I'm not sure that's possible with this motherboard

Anyways, so far so good; with a couple minor exceptions, everything seems to be working fine

My question is: The laptop is currently rocking BIOS ver F.1C 05/17/2010 and I was wondering if I should update it to BIOS ver F.1D File Version: 4.0.100.1189 / sp50586?

Would you advise I do this, or, should I just leave well alone?

THNXS!

Gar

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, Gar:

I definitely would not attempt to update the BIOS.

It will do nothing to make W10 run better on your notebook, and it was only written to be run using W7.

I don't even see it listed on your notebook's support page...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Pavilion-dv6-Entertainment-Notebook-PC-series/40...

Running it in W10 could permanently damage the notebook if the BIOS update is not successful.

The BIOS you have installed now, adds support for the following processors...

Adds BIOS support for the Intel I3-350, I5-520, I5-540, and I7-620 K-O Stepping Processors.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi, Gar:

I definitely would not attempt to update the BIOS.

It will do nothing to make W10 run better on your notebook, and it was only written to be run using W7.

I don't even see it listed on your notebook's support page...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Pavilion-dv6-Entertainment-Notebook-PC-series/40...

Running it in W10 could permanently damage the notebook if the BIOS update is not successful.

The BIOS you have installed now, adds support for the following processors...

Adds BIOS support for the Intel I3-350, I5-520, I5-540, and I7-620 K-O Stepping Processors.

HP Recommended

THNXS for your advice Paul!

I was in two minds about this bios upgrade so I appreciate your steering me in the right direction

Interesting that the current bios does support a higher performing processor.  I think then I will look further into seeing if my motherboard will support any of the processors you listed below

Gar

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Gar.

It should support this one...

Intel® Core™ i7-620M Processor (4M Cache, 2.66 GHz) FC-PGA10

Spec Code  SLBTQ

Stepping K0

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=SLBTQ&_sacat=0&_sop=15

There is also a C2 stepping (SLBPE and SLBPD),  but you don't want either of those, since the BIOS update only supports K0

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.