Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion laptop 14
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello 

Yesterday night after I used my laptop ,I would like to switch it off. But on the switch off button I saw it had to updated before switch off. So I went for update. And then it switched to a screen called" BIOS setup" or similar . There were 3 choices. I saw postpone update so i clicked it. But It later told be that something went wrong with my computer so I went to carry out the update.

After I clicked the update, suddenly the laptop gives out very loud sound. It seemed it was from the fan as the sound sounded like some gas or air? When the progress bar had reached to 100% , it told me again that my computer went wrong again. Then It tried for a few times of restarting and using the fix-up or similar function that were provided at a screen of blue color( where many choices were given). 

Finally , I just tried reinstall/reset my computer and now it can be used normally(I guess)

So, whats the problem and do I need to seek for advanced help? Thank you very much

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@unicorn852 

I think the reason that no one replied before this is because -- quite frankly -- we have no idea why your laptop did what it did.

Since I have to guess, then my guess is that Windows tried to do a UEFI update, which hung, and after you went through all the restarts, the laptop was able to correct itself so it would work properly again. 

While most laptops can not make UEFI changes through Windows, some can -- and there is no list to check to see if yours is one of those models.

Which means, if this is the case, it can happen again -- as there is no way to prevent specific Windows Update from running.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.