Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion Gaming Edition

I recently built my first gaming PC and was planning on looking into emulation, but first I wanted to protect it. I've been looking at antivirus softwares and heard that antivirus and antimalware aren't the same thing. I'm not sure if I need one but not the other, or if I should look into getting two different softwares. Can someone please explain the differences for me and point me in the right direction?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Chrisjordan901 

Malware is the generic term -- as in anything "bad" for the PC.  That includes viruses, but it also includes PUPs and Rootkits.

The AV products protect against all of these.  The one I prefer, MalwareBytes Anti Malware (MBAM) does the best job I've seen.  But they change from year to year, so the best approach is to go online and search for reviews of AV products to see which one is rated the best currently.

The one built into Windows, Windows Defender, is supposed to be quite good now -- but I have disabled it because I get far too many "false positives" -- items being quarantined that are not actually malware.  MBAM does not do this to me.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.