Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion g7-1050sa Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I am a.) trying to discover the most current BIOS version for my HP Pavilion g7 1050sa and b.) assuming there is a more current version than the version my laptop has  installed (BIOS Version/Date Insyde F.66, 24/01/2013), from where I can download the most current BIOS version for my laptop from?  The "Select a different OS" link under Software and Drivers on the HP website does not work and so it just keeps trying to find drivers for Windows 11 for which there are none.  How can I get to the current BIOS update?

Thanks 

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Check the Microsoft Update Catalog: Device Manager > Firmware > System Firmware > Details > Copy hardware IDs and search with them. The link is for my bios.

HP Recommended

Thanks for replying to my post.

I am trying to find Firmware through the Device Manager but I cannot find where.  Could you expand a little on how I can get there please?  Thanks. 🙂

HP Recommended

OK, a little more detail:

Device drivers can also be found in the Microsoft Update Catalog, this is especially helpful if there is no HP support site for older computers.

Open the Device Manager > right-click the device > select Properties > select Details > select Hardware IDs > right-click the first of the hardware IDs displayed > copy and paste into the Microsoft Update Catalog search box
If the first hardware ID does not show a result, try the next one. The displayed search results can be sorted, e.g. Last Updated.

There are EXE, MSU and CAB files available for download from the Microsoft Update Catalog. EXE and MSU files can be installed directly, for CAB driver files you need to extract the contents of the cab archive to a folder. You can use a third-party archiver like 7-Zip.

In the Device Manager right-click on the device for which you want to update the driver, and click Update driver > click Browse my computer for drivers > click Browse button and select the folder with extracted files from the CAB file > OK > Next > Close
Sometimes a restart is necessary afterwards.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.

I was hoping you would mention the device name as perhaps I have this incorrect.  Following your first reply, I selected Computer and then ACPI x64-based PC.  Under there for Hardware ID there is only "acpiapic" and nothing else.  Should I be looking at some other device under System devices?

Thanks

HP Recommended

Yes, Firmware > System Firmware - this is the Bios.

HP Recommended

If you mean directly off the computer name root in Device Manager I do not see Firmware > System Firmware.  I don't see this under the Computer device either.  

Could you provide a screenshot of your Device Manager so I can see where you see this?

HP Recommended

...or under System devices.

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Thanks for providing the link.  The Device Manager images in the post shows the Hardware IDs for a couple of PCI devices, not the computer's.  I am not seeing anything other than a single item, i.e. "acpiapic", under the Computer > ACPI x64-based PC, so nothing like the Hardware IDs shown in the link.  I tried looking for acpiapic in the MS Catalog but it found nothing.  I presume I may be looking under the wrong device but I don't know what other device would hold the Hardware ID I am after?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.