Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

We have an HP Pavilion 15 Notebook PC, running Windows 8 64-bit. I've been trying to install an update today, HP Notebook System BIOS Update (AMD Processors) thru the HP Support Assistant. It's been on "Installing" for more than half an hour. Is this normal? I've cancelled, restarted the laptop and tried the update again, but it's still the same thing. Please help!

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hello moonrivermaiden,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand that the BIOS is taking a long to install, or is possibly freezing. The best thing to do is give it a few hours and see what happens. If it freezes, or provides an error, try restoring the BIOS.

If that doesn't work, there is likely a hardware failure. Please contact HP phone support for assistance. You can utilize this website to learn how to contact HP appropriately, based on your region: Contact HP Worldwide

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

hello there, i have the exact same update on my hp pavilion notebook AMD A8-7410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics  taking a long time also. My laptop has frozen twice since i bought it (last month) and it wasnt overheating or hot. could the update help? is it necessary? it is taking a few 20 mins so i stopped it and restarted my laptop but it still takes long. what time should it usually take?

HP Recommended

Hi @needhelpm8,

Thank you for inquiry.

I grasp that it when you attempted to update the bios it was taking longer than 20 minutes, so you stopped it and restarted your notebook. You also stated that your notebook has froze twice and would like to know if updating the bios would help.

Did you check to see if the bios update completed? Did the version change?

Here is a link to HP Notebook PCs - Updating the BIOS as a guide.  For the performance issue, have you done all your Windows Updates? Have you run the HP Support Assistant?  Have you checked for viruses and malware?  MS Malicious Software Removal Tool. To assist you further, would you

provide your specific model of HP notebook and your operating system?

HP Notebook PCs - How Do I Find My Model Number, Serial Number or Product Number?

Please let me know the results from the troubleshooting.

If this post helps you to resolve the issue, please pay it forward by clicking "Accept as Solution", to the right of the Thumbs Up” icon.  You can click the thumbs up icon to show gratitude!  🙂 

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Same issue with another 4 month old  AMD8 7410...been at it for 30 mins, and what is worse there is no progress indicator, so it looks stuck - but no way of knowing.  I have nt stopped it yet, but will do shortly.  The request for update came from HP - ie I did not initiate it.  All updates for windows 10 have been applied.  Separately and another thread the WIFI adaptor has never worked relianbly despite many hours of trying fixes.  Becoming even more convinced I should have bought Apple

HP Recommended

Hi @Buchanma,

Thank you for your inquiry.

I grasp that while doing the bios update, your notebook froze.

As you stated you were going to turn off the notebook, what happened when you restarted.  Did the bios version change? Have you checked the links above for help?  

You also mentioned that your  Wi-Fi  signal is dropping.  Here is a link to HP PCs - Troubleshooting Wireless Network and Internet (Windows 10) that may help.

Please let me know the results.

To express appreciation for my post, please click the “Thumbs Up Icon.  If my post resolves the issue you are experiencing, please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find what worked for you! 

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Hi DSparkes1 thanks for reply ...

Bios update - left it all day, it never completed so stopped it.  tried again but same result.

I chose another update - that was fine went through in 3 mins, so it is just the BIOS update that is the problem

WIFI Network Adaptor ..I have done all the trouble shooting 'imaginable' ..if you see my thread you will see the many things I have tried..A further connected issue is that the laptop cannot cope with flipping from wired to WIFI - it then just won't connect at all until rebooted

The key points are

'the router is fine - 4 other devices are all connected all of the time when the HP is dropping the connection. 

the HP usually WIFI connects for 30 mins (but sometimes just 1 minute, sometimes 90 mins) after reboot, then drops out - and cannot be reconnected until rebooted . The adaptor will not 'ENABLE' once it has failed - it tries but remains disabled

I have changed my router channels to be fixed

Ethernet connection remains 100% fine

the machine has behaved like this from new - 4 months ago

Thanks

HP Recommended

HI @wyndeway,

Thank you for the updated.  As you stated  you have only had this about 4 months, please contact HP Support for assistance. With your permission, they can remotely connect to your system to help locate and overcome issues. Please contact HP support at Contact HP Support.

Please let me know the outcome. 

Sparkles1

HP Recommended
That still doesn't solve the problem it's still the same
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and performing the suggested step. Recommend you to provide the product number and OS installed on the computer for better assistance. As you have mentioned that the issue started during/after a BIOS update, recommend you to try rolling back the BIOS. Click here for the procedure.
When you are performing the BIOS rollback, make sure to have the basic setup. For Desktop PC - connect keyboard (use USB keyboard if available), mouse, monitor, and power. For Notebook PC - connect only the power cord.

Let me know if this helped. 

If the information I've provided was helpful,
Give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons,
That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!
Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.