Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Laptop 15-dy1xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

First and foremost, I should clarify; I am running Windows 11 64-Bit, not Windows 10, Windows 11 simply wasn't listed as an option under Operating Systems, so I had to go with that. Now, onto the actual issue: For a while now, there has been a BIOS Update that keeps installing itself successfully. I think it started as a random optional update in the Windows Update Checker I decided to get, as I like to keep everything as up to date as possible. At first it seemed to install fine, no error messages or problems, and it booted correctly. The next time I went to restart my computer it installed again, once more with no errors. And again. Eventually it stopped doing it every time I restarted the computer and I figured it went away. However, I am now-for entirely separate reasons- attempting to factory reset my computer, and it is causing an issue. Whenever the computer resets, or I press f11 on boot to do reset the computer by force, the bios begins to update, and does so normally with no errors, then boots up windows like normal. The computer simply informs me there was an issue restarting the device-obviously because the BIOS interrupted the process. This will not stop, no matter how many times the bios update 'installs', this wasn't an issue before when it first started happening as it doesn't affect anything on the computer, but now I am incapable of resetting my device. The serial number of the device is: 5CD037D9HL, The current BIOS version is: F.22-09/15/2021, though I have no idea if this is the one that keeps trying to install or not. If you need any additional information just let me know, I really need to fix this issue.
UPDATE: I did a bit more digging, and-well I should also mention that I have already set my BIOS to Default, and have also done a BIOS recovery, steps I found while looking into this issue- with that out of the way, I dug through the computer a bit more and discovered in Device Manager, under Firmware, 'System Firmware' has an error message, stating that it needs to update upon next restart. So this verify what it's doing at least, but the useful part of all of this is in the properties menu of the 'System Firmware' driver, in the 'Firmware' tab, it reads as follows:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Firmware is pending update on next system reboot.

Pending Firmware Version: F221000

Firmware failed to update during the last attempt.

Last Attempt Version: F221000
Last Attempt Date: 10/25/2021 11:36:02 PM
Last Attempt Status: 0xC0000058

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So it is, in fact, failing to update for some reason, and just keeps retrying. If anyone knows of a fix to this, or even just a way I can make the update stop trying to install itself, that would be amazing. I've already tried uninstalling the driver and then restarting the computer, the BIOS tries to update itself again, and then the same error message appears in Device Manager, so it doesn't change anything.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello, I keep having the same problem. With every restart, the F22100 firmware is reinstalled with the error code 14 and 10. HP does not know the error. My notebook just got a new motherboard.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem, I cannot reset my device because of that firmware update F22100 😞

HP Recommended

HP support tells me that there are no repairs for software errors. They don't know anything about the error even though I mentioned the forum. I now have a new hard drive and mainboard. But I am not allowed to update to F22100.

HP Recommended

Is the problem possibly caused by Intel virtualization in the BIOS when it is active? With the update F22100.

HP Recommended

Im also having the same issue!!

Im regretting buying this HP 15-DY0013DX... I cant even get the touchscreen to work with this windows 11 update that I was forced to do. I cant find the drive inside the device manager even while checking "show hidden devices"!

I think its time to install unbuntu since HP cant provide support for windows!

HP Recommended

The same problem, it won't detect USB at all, installed older versions and same Pending Firmware Version: F221000, and no updates in sight.

HP Recommended

I went to hp website and download f23 or f27 I don't remember lol. It ran a program and I let me reset the computer. There is still a yellow triangle in device manger but it didn't try to update again. 

HP Recommended

Re: BIOS Update won't stop installing, can't factory reset computer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.