Here are the problem and my troubleshooting actions, in chronological order:
- I was updating the BIOS using the HP assistant utility.
- I left the computer unattended after starting the update, plugged it into the power cord.
- When I returned after about an hour, the computer was on, but the screen was blank, the power light was on, wifi light was amber.
- No response to any movement on the trackpad or any keyboard input.
- Left alone for another hour or so, plugged into the power cord in case it was still updating.
- After about 3 hours of no activity, I decided to switch off, unplug from the power cord, remove the laptop battery, then press the power button for a full minute to clear the CMOS, then insert the battery again, plug the power cord and switch on. But no resolve, still switches on, blank screen, and wifi light is amber, no response to keyboard input or trackpad movement.
I then researched online for bricked bios support and found this support page:
I tried everything here, including the windows key combinations and creating a USB recovery, but had no luck, the same every time, my laptop is not booting, it switches on but not booting into anyting.
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".