Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre XT Touchsmart
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently got a used HP Spectra XT Touchsmart. 

It came to me with Windows 8.1 and I did a clean install of Windows 10 from USB. 

Whenever the machine wakes from sleep or hibernation I get a BSOD:

Stop code: System Thread Exception Not Handled

What failed: iaStorAV.sys

I have searched for this error and have seen recommendations, but my knowledge is limited and  I don’t know which would apply to my machine.

There are a couple of other things I’ve noticed, but I don’t know if they are relevant:

The machine has two disks, a 465GB HD and a 6GB SSD.  But the SSD does not appear in the File Explorer.  Under System Information it shows 0 partitions on this disk.  (I could not install Windows on this SSD as it was not big enough.)

Also, Device Manager shows one Unknown device:

ACPI\HPQ0004\3&11583659&0

and indicates that it “requires further installation”.  Windows is not able to find a driver for it.

Are these circumstances related?   Any help with these issues would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I read the discussion, and saw where the person fixed their specific issue by 're set up the Intel Smart Response Technology.'

Since I don't use that software, unfortunately, I can't tell you what you need to do, but I can tell you that you can easily find out if the drive controller in your locked BIOS is set to AHCI or RAID, and then you can follow the applicable instructions to 're-setup the Intel Smart Response Technology' interface.

If the drive controller is set to AHCI, there will be an IDE/ATA/ATAPI Controllers device manager category.

Click to expand that category and you should see an Intel(R) 7 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller listed there.

If the drive controller is set to RAID, there will be a Storage Controllers device manager category.  Click to expand that, and you will see an Intel(R) Mobile Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller listed there.

You'll have one or the other, not both.

Now as for the driver...I have searched the Intel support site, and this was the last version for the chipset your notebook has.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24006/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-

You want the third file down on the left side of the page--Setup RST.exe.

Maybe just updating this driver will take care of the issue.  Seems to be two years newer than the one I originally gave you.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi:

If your PC has an Intel 3rd generation core processor, see if installing this RST driver resolves the iaStorAV.sys issue.

Restart the PC after installing.

This package contains the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver for the supported notebook models running a supported operating system. The Intel Rapid Storage Technology is designed to provide functionality for the Intel Storage Controllers. The driver improves Serial ATA (SATA) disk performance with Native Command Queuing.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp59001-59500/sp59490.exe

You need this driver for the unknown device...

This package provides the HP 3D DriveGuard software for supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system. HP 3D DriveGuard protects the hard drive by "parking the heads" if the notebook is accidentally dropped or is abruptly impacted by another object. 

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp64001-64500/sp64144.exe

HP Recommended

Thanks for your quick reply, Paul.  Your solution for the unknown device worked nicely. 

Unfortunately the iaStorAV.sys issue isn't resolved, as the machine still crashes when waking even with the indicated RST driver installed. 

HP Recommended

You''re very welcome.

Try updating to the latest Intel chipset driver...Install and restart the PC.

The 2nd file down on the left is the auto install file.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/20775/Intel-Chipset-Device-Software-INF-Update-Utility-?pr...

That would be the only suggestion I can offer.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestion, but it didn't solve the problem.  When the computer woke up it displayed the date and time for a moment and then crashed.  It's still giving iaStorAV.sys as the problem.  I don't know what to try next.

HP Recommended

Sorry that didn't work either.

The iaStorAV.sys has something to do with the sata controller, which is why I recommended the above drivers to see if you could fix the issue with those driver files.

Unfortunately, I don't know what other things you can try either.

Apparently, you are not alone.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/bsod-re-iastoravsys/10d12775-1cf2...

Can you let me know what model Intel processor you have?

I'll see if there is a newer RST driver than the one I gave you.   RST (Rapid Storage Technology) supeceded the Matrix storage drivers.

Like the last person posted on the above Microsoft thread, that was my original thought that the RST driver needs to be updated.  Perhaps there is a newer driver I can give you directly from Intel, but I will need more info from you to begin my search.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your continuing help.  The processor is the i5-3317U.

I've found another discussion of a similar issue, and it was resolved according to the link in the following thread, but I can't follow the instructions because insydeH20 BIOS has the advanced settings locked: I don't see anything on SATA or RAID.

https://communities.intel.com/thread/50780

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I read the discussion, and saw where the person fixed their specific issue by 're set up the Intel Smart Response Technology.'

Since I don't use that software, unfortunately, I can't tell you what you need to do, but I can tell you that you can easily find out if the drive controller in your locked BIOS is set to AHCI or RAID, and then you can follow the applicable instructions to 're-setup the Intel Smart Response Technology' interface.

If the drive controller is set to AHCI, there will be an IDE/ATA/ATAPI Controllers device manager category.

Click to expand that category and you should see an Intel(R) 7 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller listed there.

If the drive controller is set to RAID, there will be a Storage Controllers device manager category.  Click to expand that, and you will see an Intel(R) Mobile Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller listed there.

You'll have one or the other, not both.

Now as for the driver...I have searched the Intel support site, and this was the last version for the chipset your notebook has.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24006/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-

You want the third file down on the left side of the page--Setup RST.exe.

Maybe just updating this driver will take care of the issue.  Seems to be two years newer than the one I originally gave you.

HP Recommended

That did it!  I installed Intel's Rapid Storage Technology (I tried my luck with the most recent version).  It indicated that the accelerated disk was missing and the help file suggested disassociating it.  I tried that, and now the machine wakes from sleep and hibernation with no trouble.

I can't say I fully understand all this, but it works now. 

Thank you for your help!

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.