Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion Gaming
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
I can't start the laptop properly so the only options I have is to use HP recovery manager, or the default advanced options Windows have.

I'm trying to use the HP recovery manager to backup my files before I reset my laptop but the transfer always stops half way saying "The destination device is not connected" even though it clearly is.

If it's small files like below 5gb it transfers fine but above that the transfer always stops with that message.

I saw a previous thread with similar issues about going into bios and changing the date to before the creation date of the laptop and enabling legacy settings but it didn't work for me.

Please send any help or information, it'll be greatly appreciated, thank you so much.
1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi! @Wwpep, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand you are trying to backup the files from your PC to an external drive but you are getting an error "The destination drive is not connected".

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

What is the size of the external drive you are using to backup the files?

Have you tried checking with a different external drive?

Have you tried connecting the external drive to a different USB port?

Please share the product number of your PC to assist you better.

It looks like the data backup was not successful due to which you are unable to restore the files.

The data would be backed up only if the files on your PC are on particular folders Eg: Document, Pictures, Music, and Videos.

Try checking with a different external hard drive and make sure you select a bigger size drive for backup.

Try running a hard drive test on your PC from system diagnostics page and check if the hard drive on your PC is functioning correctly.

Refer this article to know more information about running system diagnostics on your PC.

Try restoring the BIOS to default on your PC.

1.    Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
2.    Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
3.    On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
4.    Press F10 to Save and Exit.
5.    Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
6.    Follow the prompts to restart your computer.

Also, Try few steps recommended below.

a Click Start, type cmd in the Start Search box, right-click cmd in the Programs list, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
b. At the command prompt, type Chkdsk /f, and then press ENTER. 
c. Press Y when you are prompted to check the disk next time that the system restarts. 
d. Close all applications, and then restart the computer. Note During the restart process, Windows checks the disk for errors and then starts.
e. After the computer has restarted, try to restore from recovery manager.

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps. Recovery manager on your PC might be corrupted or faulty. 

As an alternate just copy and paste the files from your PC to external hard drive.

Please mark my post as accepted solution if you feel I have answered your query.

Hope this helps!
Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.