Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Ultrabook 4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After the last update my wireless adapter stopped working. So I did a full wipe and clean install to try and fix the problem. After the install was done I notice a few problems. It has this laptop listed as a sleekbook which needs different drivers than a ultrabook. In device manager it is listed as unknown and in devices and printer has the same explanation mark on it.Same thing goes for a audio device in the device manager. I can't install the bios driver update, audio driver update because windows is failing to install it since the updates are for a ultrabook and it thinks its a sleekbook. How do I get this changed so my laptop will start working properly? 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Basicinneed 

WHAT did you use to do the Clean Install?

IF you used something you downloaded from MS, that would NOT have the right HP drivers -- and you would end up with problems like this.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@WAWood I used the refreshwindowstool. Now since it thinks my laptop is a sleekbook and not the ultrabook that it is. I looked up the Hp recovery cloud but didn't see my laptop listed in the names of computers covered in it. 

HP Recommended

@Basicinneed 

Sorry to hear that .. was hoping the Cloud tool would work for you.

You have a couple of options: HP Recovery Media, and Windows reinstall from MS.

----------------------------------

HP Recovery Media is a set of DVDs and a CD, or USB stick, that will erase the hard drive (removing all data, settings, and applications, reinstall the original OS, drivers, and some HP Utilities.

In some cases, you may be able to order a USB stick instead of disks. You have to order these from HP; they can not be downloaded.

You can look online for Recovery Media starting with the linked paged: http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers

Once there, input your Product name or number. On your Software and Drivers Download page, select your Operating System and and Version. Click "Update".

If HP Recovery Media is available for your machine, down near the bottom of the page, you will see an entry for Order Recovery Media-CD/DVD/USB. Click the "+" symbol to expand that entry and click on Order Media for details.

Or, if you prefer, you can do the same by contacting HP Customer Support. To contact HP Support Goto this page https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp

---------------------------------------

1) Use this link to download and create Win10 install media: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

2) Insert that into your PC, boot from it, and run through the installation. When you get the window asking for a product key, look down near the bottom of the window for the link you can click to skip that step.

3) When done (the PC may restart several times) and you boot into Windows and you get back online, it will contact the MS activation servers and automatically reactivate Win10.

If you provide the detailed product number, I can see if HP provides Win10 drivers for your model PC and link them here so you can reinstall those after the Win10 installation.

HP Recommended

I've downloaded the media creation tool from MS on to my usb drive. Now I'm trying to get in the Hp restore settings instead of using MS. Once I get into hp recovery system I'm hoping that will work. The Hp recovery system is wanting to be a pain in the butt right now. I press the f11 key on boot up and it says system recovery but then just loads windows up and starts the laptop into normal windows. I truly do appreciate all the good advice. Do you know a different way of entering the Hp system recovery besides F11? With times the way they are I'd really like not having to spend anything I don't have to right now

HP Recommended

@Basicinneed 

Maybe it's just a matter of terminology, but you don't download the MCT onto a separate drive, you download it to your PC -- and then you USE it to create boot media. Is that what you did?

HP Recovery Media is not free as it comes on a USB stick and HP charges you for that.  It's typically around $40 -- but prices vary.  That's the only way to get if if the Cloud tool does not work for you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.