Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 450 G5 2RS23EA#ABZ
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, i have a Pavilion 450 G5 with Windows 10 64-bit, and after the last update (Windows 10 1809 Build 17763.316), i have a huge battery drain. I have tested the battery with Windows integrated tool and the battery seems good. My drivers are all updated and i don't know how to resolve the issue.

Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@hawkeye7 

Lots of folks are reporting new problems since the 1809 Feature Upgrade and power drain appears to be one of them.

I think it may have something to do with MS changing the way Fast Startup works...

Win10 has enabled a new hibernation process known as Fast Startup -- which is different from Fast Boot. This is supposed to dramatically speed up the booting process, but in some PCs, it actually slows it down or causes it to hang. It's also a new form of hibernation known as hybrid sleep -- and this causes battery drain to maintain the state of the PC while turned off.

Disabling Fast Startup might fix the booting problem.

There are two ways to disable FastStartup in Win10: (1) through the Control Panel, and (2) through an elevated command prompt.

Control Panel - Open Control Panel --> Power Options.
Select "Choose what the power buttons do"
Select "Change settings that are currently unavailable"
At the bottom of the Window, under Shutdown settings, uncheck the box regarding fast startup

Elevated command prompt - run the following command:
REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Power" /V HiberbootEnabled /T REG_dWORD /D 0 /F

In both cases, reboot Windows.

NOW, FastStartup is disabled.

See if that helps.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I tried the solution but the battery drain remains in normal use of the PC. I have lost 10% of battery in about 10-15 minutes.

HP Recommended

@hawkeye7 

Sorry that did not work.

I have a Win10 laptop, and even though it did NOT drain current when it was running Win7, is does drain current when it is now running Win10.

I have found the only way to stop this is to remove the battery when I am not using it. Inconvenient, to be sure, but effective.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.