Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Laptop PC 15-dw3000 (1A3Y0AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

I bought my laptop and used it for about 2 months, then one evening when I opened the laptop and turned it on I was prompted for a Bitlocker recovery key. I had never seen this before on any device nor this one, and I was never asked to set up any BitLocker info on this laptop. But now I have to have a recovery key to get past the powering on stage. Why did this happen and how do I get past it?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @CV2231,

Welcome to the HP Support Community

I'd like to help!

I understand that your PC is asking for Bitlocker Key which you do not have. 

• BitLocker is the Windows encryption technology that protects your data from unauthorized access by encrypting your drive and requiring one or more factors of authentication before it will unlock it. 
  • Windows will require a BitLocker recovery key when it detects a possible unauthorized attempt to access the data. 
  • This can also happen if you make changes in hardware, firmware, or software which BitLocker cannot distinguish from a possible attack. 
  • In these cases, BitLocker may require the extra security of the recovery key even if the user is an authorized owner of the device. This is to be certain that the person trying to unlock the data really is authorized.

• It is completely controlled by Microsoft and Your device is a modern device that meets certain requirements to automatically enable device encryption: In this case your BitLocker recovery key is automatically saved to your Microsoft account before protection is activated.

Not to worry I can guide you to recover the key, kindly follow the below steps:

• Sign in to your Microsoft account on another device to find your recovery key. 
  • Once you enter your credentials, you may have to verifiy your identity
  • A code will be sent to your email address registred with Microsoft 
  • Once you enter that you will see the Bitlocker recovery page
  • You will only get a recovery password option if you have enabled Email when you setup Bitlocker
  • Use the key and enter it on your PC and check.

Reference image:

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

ANAND_ANDY
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.