Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Product number: 15-r264nc
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, after logging in ,my screen turns black. I tried to search for some solutions online such as disabling app ready in service.msc or run explorer.exe manually, holding power button while the laptop was turned off and much more, but nothing worked. And also, my processor is running on 100% even though almost nothing is running. Waiting also doesnt work, i waited for like an 25 minutes while i was scanning the pc yet it didnt come up as usual.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Same problem here. The "reboot" solution I saw offered here (but I guess is now gone) was not helpful. The issue is not the computer won't boot it's that the display doesn't show the desktop. The computer is running. You can C-A-D and get the task manager to appear (on what I think is somehow the "second" monitor even though the built in monitor is the only physical device). From the TM you can launch a browser (which is how I'm entering this post). If you press Win-P and the alt-Tab, you can see the icon for the monitor list, you can't get it to appear nor does using the arrow keys to try to "change monitors" help.

HP Recommended

@Jak31

Hello,

Welcome to the HP Support forum. Thank you for posting.

The problem you see is probably caused due to the Windows update that has been applied or some other update.

Perform SYSTEM RESTORE in an attempt to revert back and "turn back time"

1. Please, shutdown the computer using the power button (pressed and hold for a few seconds until PC powers off)

2. Power the computer back on.

2.1 As soon as you press the power-on button, immediately begin hitting the Esc button (like tap-tap-tap) before any logo appears. This should open a HP Startup Menu

3. Choose  F11 for System Recovery options.

The computer should boot from it's recovery partition to open you various recovery options. Note, that F11 option will only work if the recovery partition is there (not deleted) and intact. From there, you have prenty of options to choose from. Every HP computer comes with recovery partition present to assist in tough moments.

4. Please, perform "System Restore" first in an attempt to fix the issue. Please, restore back to previous days (restore point) where the issue was not present. Here is more info:

>> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03327545#AbT5

>> https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4588-system-restore-windows-10-a.html

5. After restoring and if you are back in business:

- pause Windows Updates temporary to prevent it from re-downloading this "faulty" update >> http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-pause-windows-update-download-in-windows-10/

Let me know how it goes.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Rolled back to April 2 restore point (problem started on April 11) but no luck. System recovery reported success, but I still have a black screen (with pointer) after login. Again I can ctrl alt del to get the lock/switch user/task manager menu. I can then use TM as a launcher to get into apps and (some utilities), but the basic issue remains.

HP Recommended
Hi, thank you for responding, i tried to restore my system to 1. April, unfortunately im stuck at the loading screen now, and i dont know if i have to manually turn off my laptop
HP Recommended
Also i just found out that the restoration wasnt sucessfull, it said: "system restore failed to extract the original copy of the directory from the restore point" i tried it twice, each time with different date for restoration
HP Recommended
Im sorry i forgot to tag you @IT_WinSec .please if you could look at my messages above.
HP Recommended

Another detail I should mention for my case is that my boot sector died a while back and I had to reinstall Windows (10) from a thumb drive, so it's the generic (ie not HP) installation of Windows. (So for example when I tried to reinstall the BIOS, the magic HP BIOS backup was not there and I had to download the softpaq to get it.)

The whole thing started in early April when Windows apparently wanted to push a new Intel graphics driver. The Windows Update screen from another computer of the same model in my house is attached. That one, I've left alone. The Windows Notifcation panel is reporting that the update can't be installed. The Device Manager shows that the update was attempted. I've since disabled the driver, downloaded the softpaq driver for my model, and reinstalled. That effort along with the BIOS update had no effect.

There's an svchost proc mentioning an update running that hogs between 25 to 50 percent of the CPU that I can't get to go away (after numerous restarts). While I can launch the device manager as a task manager task, I can't get to (either flavor of) the control panel to save my life. If I try to start it from the task manager, I see it as a subtask of the task manager proc (in the list), but the panel itself does not appear. Can't launch it with cmd or Win-I either. Tried opening the Computer tab of Explorer with This PC selected, but Explorer freezes. (And about the only way I can get Expolorer to come up at all is to open the Downloads tab of Chrome then click View in Folder on a previous DL.) All this bc the task bar is not visible.

So again, the file system seems intact because Explorer, Chrome, and Task Manager all work. It's "just" that I'm stuck on the black screen.  Also April 2 restore point recovery completed but did not help. The only other restore point I have is March, and that one did not work.

20180412_Windows_Update.png

HP Recommended

If System Restore is not successful or didn't help, the only option left is to perform resetting of the PC operating system (HP Recovery / Reset this PC option)

Here is how to do it:

>> http://hp.dezide.com/ts/start.jsp?guide=HPSystemRecovery.net&section=ccweb&sfs=tdoc&lc=en&language=e...

>> https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4130-reset-windows-10-a.html

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Resetting isn't nearly as painful as I thought it would be, and it turned out to be the best solution. You need to go to the Microsoft site and make yourself an intallation thumb drive. I think it needs to have at least 8GB, but those are wicked cheap now and well worth the money now. PC World has a link that will describe the process. 

App readiness, roll back to a restore point, disable fast startup, uninstall the device, change the shell regisgtry key to explorer, and many other well-meaning approaches, some of which came with you tube videos demonstrating their effectiveness did not work for me. In retrospect, despite the fact that the process of reinstalling Windows takes a long time (over an hour with both creating the installation thumb drive, that's far less time that scouring Google and going down blind alleys.

I had created the installation thumb drive to fix a bad boot sector several months ago. Despite the fact that all my docs were visible in the file system (when booting to the command line) that reinstall wound up wiping out the docs and apps because the partioning got fouled up. You should of course back up any time you refresh your system, but today's reinstall of Windows did not affect any of my docs or installed apps, so thank goodness for that. 

I had to start the computer from my current in its current state, the ctrl-alt-del into the task manager to get around the black screen. I then launched Explorer from the task manager by right clicking a process then selecting "go to file location." From there I launched setup from the thumb drive. In my case I noticed that:
a) Navigating Explorer worked only if I used the left hand tree view. Trying to open a folder in the right hand file/folder view froze Explorer.

b) Task manager was not always happy if I tried to use it as a launcher. Often it would become unresponsive, and I'd have to Ctrl Alt Del to launch another instance of it and then kill the original process.

Main thing was that refreshing the OS with the thumb drive installer got me back to a good a state in what seemed to be the most reliable and (once you add in the unsuccessful efforts) even fastest ways.

The black screen is probably a sign that you have other issues lurking and the quick fixes may get you back up only to mask the issues that led to the problem in the first place.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.