Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-af131dx (ENERGY STAR)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My notebook wouldn't shut down for some reason, it would shut down and restart immediately.  There were no apps running so I forced shut down by holding the power button.  Now it won't start, I get the blue screen asking me to choose a keyboard and then takes me to troubleshooting page. I've gone through all the troubleshooting options and have done a hard reset, I still get blue screen. 

I've ran all the hardware diagnostics and everything passed. This must be a software issue.  Under troubleshooting the option for factory reset is greyed out, and I've tried all the other options. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Taz1

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

As I understand you have a blue screen at startup,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• Do you possess a recovery media?
  • Was that a memory test you've done or did you perform am extensive hardware test on the device?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to do:

(Since you've beautifully tested for hardware issue & confirmed that the recovery partition has grayed out)

If you received HP recovery media from HP, use this section to recover your computer. Insert the media and use the following instructions.

1. Disconnect all connected devices and cables such as Personal Media Drives, USB drives, printers, and faxes. Remove media from internal drives, and remove any recently added internal hardware.

Do not disconnect the monitor, keyboard, mouse, or power cord.

2. Insert the recovery media (USB Drive, CD/DVD) and then turn off the computer.

3. Turn on the computer and immediately press the Esc (escape) key repeatedly, about once every second, until the Startup Menu opens.

• Notebook

Notebook Startup Menu

• Desktop

Desktop startup menu

4. Press F9 to open Boot Device Options

menu.
  5. Use the up or down arrow key to select the CD/DVD drive or USB drive, and then press Enter.

NOTE:

If you are using recovery media supplied by HP, a black window opens asking you to Press any key to boot from the CD or DVD.....This screen only displays for 3-4 seconds and if no key is pressed, the system boots normally into Windows. You must repeat these steps in order to boot from the CD/DVD recovery media.

Prompt to press any key

Boot option menu

Please select boot option device with SATA1 selected.

NOTE:

More than one USB drive or CD/DVD drive selection might be available from the list of bootable devices. If so, select one of the USB drive CD/DVD selections from the list to see if HP Recovery starts. If recovery does not start or a non-system disk error is displayed, restart the computer by pressing the power button, and then repeat these steps to select another USB or CD/DVD drive. When recovery starts, continue using the steps to complete recovery.

6. Select the language.

Select a language

7. The option should be Factory Reset. Click Next.

Select an Option with Factory Reset selected

8. On the Welcome page, click Next.

Welcome page with Next selected

9. To recover your system without backing up your files, the files should already be backed up and saved.

To continue, if you have backed up your files, click Recover without backing up your files, otherwise click Back up your files first (recommended).

Starting the recovery by saving the files first or recovering without backing up

10. Prepare the computer for recovery.

Factory image recovery preparations screen

11. After all files are copied to the hard drive, on the Factory Image preparations screen, you are asked if you have received a Supplemental Recovery Disc.

If you have, insert it now. If not, click Skip.

CAUTION:

If you are using a recovery USB drive supplied by HP, click Skip.

Factory Image recovery preparations screen asking you to insert the disc from HP

12. When the Recovery preparation is complete window is displayed, perform the next step, depending on your recovery media:

• If you are using a recovery USB drive: Remove the USB drive, and then click Continue.

NOTE:

If the USB drive is not removed, the recovery process reboots to the first recovery screen and starts over.

• If you are using a CD/DVD: Click Continue.

13. The computer might go through several Software Installation screens; this is normal, please do not turn off your computer during this process.

NOTE:

Do not interrupt the process as the computer restarts multiple times during the recovery and installation process.

Software installation screen showing software is being installed

14. When setup is complete, do the following:

1. Turn off the computer.

2. Reconnect all devices and cables.

3. Turn on the computer.

Reinstall any software programs that were added after purchasing the computer, as well as any files that were backed up.

15. Before using the computer:

• Protect your computer by reinstalling any virus and security software that was installed before the system recovery.

• Reinstall any software programs that were added after purchasing the computer.

• Add back to the computer any files that were backed up.

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: https://hp.care/2luJf1e

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Keep me posted,

For I (Or a trusted colleague) shall follow-up on this case to ensure the concern has been addressed, 

And your device is up and running again, 

that said, If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Taz1

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

As I understand you have a blue screen at startup,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• Do you possess a recovery media?
  • Was that a memory test you've done or did you perform am extensive hardware test on the device?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to do:

(Since you've beautifully tested for hardware issue & confirmed that the recovery partition has grayed out)

If you received HP recovery media from HP, use this section to recover your computer. Insert the media and use the following instructions.

1. Disconnect all connected devices and cables such as Personal Media Drives, USB drives, printers, and faxes. Remove media from internal drives, and remove any recently added internal hardware.

Do not disconnect the monitor, keyboard, mouse, or power cord.

2. Insert the recovery media (USB Drive, CD/DVD) and then turn off the computer.

3. Turn on the computer and immediately press the Esc (escape) key repeatedly, about once every second, until the Startup Menu opens.

• Notebook

Notebook Startup Menu

• Desktop

Desktop startup menu

4. Press F9 to open Boot Device Options

menu.
  5. Use the up or down arrow key to select the CD/DVD drive or USB drive, and then press Enter.

NOTE:

If you are using recovery media supplied by HP, a black window opens asking you to Press any key to boot from the CD or DVD.....This screen only displays for 3-4 seconds and if no key is pressed, the system boots normally into Windows. You must repeat these steps in order to boot from the CD/DVD recovery media.

Prompt to press any key

Boot option menu

Please select boot option device with SATA1 selected.

NOTE:

More than one USB drive or CD/DVD drive selection might be available from the list of bootable devices. If so, select one of the USB drive CD/DVD selections from the list to see if HP Recovery starts. If recovery does not start or a non-system disk error is displayed, restart the computer by pressing the power button, and then repeat these steps to select another USB or CD/DVD drive. When recovery starts, continue using the steps to complete recovery.

6. Select the language.

Select a language

7. The option should be Factory Reset. Click Next.

Select an Option with Factory Reset selected

8. On the Welcome page, click Next.

Welcome page with Next selected

9. To recover your system without backing up your files, the files should already be backed up and saved.

To continue, if you have backed up your files, click Recover without backing up your files, otherwise click Back up your files first (recommended).

Starting the recovery by saving the files first or recovering without backing up

10. Prepare the computer for recovery.

Factory image recovery preparations screen

11. After all files are copied to the hard drive, on the Factory Image preparations screen, you are asked if you have received a Supplemental Recovery Disc.

If you have, insert it now. If not, click Skip.

CAUTION:

If you are using a recovery USB drive supplied by HP, click Skip.

Factory Image recovery preparations screen asking you to insert the disc from HP

12. When the Recovery preparation is complete window is displayed, perform the next step, depending on your recovery media:

• If you are using a recovery USB drive: Remove the USB drive, and then click Continue.

NOTE:

If the USB drive is not removed, the recovery process reboots to the first recovery screen and starts over.

• If you are using a CD/DVD: Click Continue.

13. The computer might go through several Software Installation screens; this is normal, please do not turn off your computer during this process.

NOTE:

Do not interrupt the process as the computer restarts multiple times during the recovery and installation process.

Software installation screen showing software is being installed

14. When setup is complete, do the following:

1. Turn off the computer.

2. Reconnect all devices and cables.

3. Turn on the computer.

Reinstall any software programs that were added after purchasing the computer, as well as any files that were backed up.

15. Before using the computer:

• Protect your computer by reinstalling any virus and security software that was installed before the system recovery.

• Reinstall any software programs that were added after purchasing the computer.

• Add back to the computer any files that were backed up.

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: https://hp.care/2luJf1e

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Keep me posted,

For I (Or a trusted colleague) shall follow-up on this case to ensure the concern has been addressed, 

And your device is up and running again, 

that said, If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks, I was able to do factory reset with HP media, but it took all day. What can I do to make it easier to recover next time this happens?

HP Recommended

@Taz1,

It looks like you were interacting with @Riddle_Decipher, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 
I'm the Jeet_Singh & I'm at your service.

I'm glad to hear you found the solution you were looking for.

However, you want to know how to recover from this problem if it happened in future, no worries, I'll be glad to help you.

Please ensure, you don't turn off the computer improperly or shutdown until you close all the programs.

Always ensure to turn off the computer when not in use?

Do not interrupt the computer while its updating?

If the issue persists, do a hard reset on the PC?

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.
I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉 

To simply say thanks for the efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.
And mark his public post as Accepted Solution to help others find a similar solution as you have.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂
Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.