Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp Beats
Linux
  • Hi,

I have installed Linux OS in my laptop and the guy who helped me install linux OS, installed it in a way that my machine runs just linux and not windows. I do want to recover it back to windows. So, I tried downloading Windows 8 iso file from microsoft website then using a different computer I managed to get that iso file transferred to my USB flash drive. Then I followed below steps

1. Plugged my USB flash drive in to my linux OS laptop (Hp Beats)

2. Turned it on

3. Pressed f10 to get into the BIOS menu

4. Changed the UEFI order by putting USB flash drive on top

5. Enabled Legacy support

6. Changed legacy support order by putting USB flash drive on top

7. f10- Saved that setup and exit from that menu

8. Pressed f9- To select boot option as USB flash drive (it showed my flash drive name in that option)

9. As soon as I selected that it said "reboot and select proper boot device

Or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"

I tried it n no. Of times but no result

I tried unplugging and plugging in my USB flash drive and changing UEFI and legacy support order but nothing worked.

At one point, after saving and exiting from BIOS setup it showed a window to enter the shown passcode+enter. I followed that but it didn't work. It went back to linux OS again.

I don't know what to do with it.

Can anyone try to help me resolve this issue and help me booting my windows back into my machine. I will be really glad if anyone helps me sort this out asap.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

im a linux/windows user .. some things to try to see if windows is still on the hdd. 

power the system up and tap the down arrow  repeatedly... there should be a text prompt that appears.. and it will have options like (linux -- generic -- version number) below that the same thing with safe mode ,,, then the same again with advanced options ... then windows uefi or mbr .. )  ................

if the windows entry is not there .. either all was wiped during the Linux install or possibly just a corrupt boot file...  windows does not read most linux file systems. .

power up and reenter the bios.. 

....  go to the boot section..  and inside the OS boot option there should be a widows boot option .. you can highlight it and use F6 to raise it to the top of the list , making it the default boot option. then press f10 to exit the option keeping it as you left it ,,, 

if all is a fail you will need a system repair disc .. or 2 to correct the file system

. and it needs to be UEFI or EFI compatabile .   rescatux is a live cd/usb utility i used for many years.. and it has easy to follow graphical tools inside  to repair the boot files of most linux and windows operations. .. make sure you get rescatux with 64 bit and grub2, and you may be able to recover both Operating Systems .

if windows is gone completely..  , you can use the gparted  utility in the rescatux live repair disc to wipe the linux install clean. and leave hdd/sdd blank or reformat to fat or ntfs. then exit and retry the windows install. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for sharing ideas. I'll try both and see which one works. Hope I find the solution. Thanks again

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.