Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp pavilion gaming laptop 15-cx0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My computer says boot device not found and I tried most of the steps it doesn’t let me in. Also all the test I checked are passing. What do I do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You are most welcome

In this case, you have checked and ruled out all possible caused (except from the operating system itself).

You will need to reinstall your Windows. Check the file below - you may follow the steps in the attached PDF file (instructions+video example) to see how to do it.

How it helps. Let me know how it goes

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hello @Deltaherbs123 

Welcome to the HP Support Communities.

Reason/Root cause >> You get this Boot device not found message because either of these:

-  Computer's BIOS is not configured correctly and it tries to boot from a device (not standard HDD) that has no bootable stuff on it (e.g. empty USB pen drive)

-  there is no HDD/SSD/disk drive/storage drive present in the PC

-  HDD/SSD is present but corrupted (or some connector is not working)

-  Operating system (e.g. Windows) is totally corrupt/unbootable

You can review the official HP article about such issues > http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01443463

Tell me if you have performed any changes or updated before the issue started, provide some update.

* Please, perform some basic hardware checks

I suspected you already tested the hard disk drive / storage drive ? Or system Test >> Quick test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JXUp43ahHA

Please, confirm

* Reset BIOS/UEFI settings to default... Repeat steps above but when HP Startup menu opens, please choose F10 to open BIOS setup.

Navigate through the BIOS and find the option to load default settings/configuration/reset BIOS settings to default.

Save the changes.

Exit the BIOS saving the changes.

Let me know how it goes.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Laptops On Amazon - https://amzn.to/3wboBVL HP Spectre x360 - https://amzn.to/3dCflTZ PLEASE SUBSCRIBE IF THIS HELPS YOU - IT HELPS ME :-) Here is a very quick video on how to enter the HP Boot Menu from a HP Laptop. Step 1 - Press the power on button. Step 2 - Quickly start pressing the ESC ...
HP Recommended

Thank you for replying and yes I have ran tests on the hard disk and it says passing. I have also reset everything to default already but it still doesn’t work

HP Recommended

You are most welcome

In this case, you have checked and ruled out all possible caused (except from the operating system itself).

You will need to reinstall your Windows. Check the file below - you may follow the steps in the attached PDF file (instructions+video example) to see how to do it.

How it helps. Let me know how it goes

HP Recommended

Thank you and I did what you said, but it keeps on going back and forth from black screen and hp after I installed windows for the past 30 minutes.

HP Recommended

Never mind it finally loaded Thank you so much!

HP Recommended

I’m having another problem logging in as it sometimes lets me in and sometimes just goes to automatic repair. What do I do?

HP Recommended

Hello @Deltaherbs123 

What do you mean by writing that it sometimes lets you in and sometimes loads the automatic recovery ?

Can you be very detailed what exactly you did from the reinstallation steps and what you did last ?

If you reinstalled Windows, did you begin updating it ?

HP Recommended

Thank you for your help and it works but when I shut down my computer and turn it back on it goes to automatic recovery mode or takes forever to turn on. I have updated everything from windows.

HP Recommended

Ok,

When you shut it down, does it shut down fully clearly, like it is completely off, screen off, no buttons blinking or being on ?

Does it shutdown fast - like in 30 seconds max ?

Here are a couple of things you may need to try :

Check Device Manager

1. Click on the Windows Start button, type and then open Device Manager
2. Locate System devices and expand the trail

Screenshot_2019-01-17_23-40-32.png

3. Locate and right click on "Intel (R) Management Engine Interface" then select Properties
4. Select Power management tap
5. And uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"
6. Save it and close it.

Turn off Fast Startup

• Click on Start button
  • Type control.exe and Go to Control Panel > Power Options > Choose what the power button does
  • Click on “Change settings that are currently unavailable" and Uncheck "Turn on Fast Startup"
  • Make sure you press "Save changes" button

222.png

Try updating the BIOS

Let me know in details what you did and if any changes . Thank you for your cooperation !

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.