Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

How do I solve ths problem of boot not found I wnt to recover my laptop step by step plz

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Omar-kombo_01,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

When an HP laptop displays a "Boot Device Not Found" error, it means the system cannot locate the bootable device, usually the hard drive where the operating system is installed. Here's a step-by-step guide to troubleshoot and resolve this issue.

Step 1: Check Boot Order in BIOS

1. Restart the laptop.
  2. Enter BIOS Setup: Immediately press Esc or F10 repeatedly as the laptop starts.
  3. Navigate to Boot Options: Use the arrow keys to find the "Boot Order" or "Boot Options" menu.
  4. Check Boot Order: Ensure the hard drive is listed first in the boot order. If not, change the boot order so the hard drive is first.
  5. Save and Exit: Press F10 to save changes and exit BIOS.

Step 2: Perform a Hard Reset

1. Turn off the laptop.
  2. Disconnect all external devices (USB drives, external hard drives, etc.).
  3. Unplug the power adapter and remove the battery (if applicable).
  4. Press and hold the Power button for about 15 seconds.
  5. Reconnect the power adapter (leave the battery out for now).
  6. Turn on the laptop.

Step 3: Run a Hardware Diagnostic Test

1. Turn off the laptop.
  2. Turn it back on and immediately press Esc repeatedly.
  3. Press F2 to open the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI.
  4. Run the Extensive Test: Select "System Tests" and then "Extensive Test" to check the hard drive and other components.

Step 4: Check for Loose Connections

1. Turn off the laptop and unplug it.
  2. Remove the battery (if applicable).
  3. Open the back panel: This typically requires a small Phillips-head screwdriver.
  4. Check the hard drive connection: Ensure the hard drive is securely connected to the motherboard.
  5. Reassemble the laptop, reinsert the battery, and turn it on.

Step 5: Use Windows Recovery Tools

If the hardware is fine but the laptop still won't boot, you might need to repair the Windows installation.

Using a Windows Installation Media

1. Create a Windows Installation Media: If you don't have one, you can create it using another computer. Download the Windows Media Creation Tool from the Microsoft website and follow the instructions to create a bootable USB drive.
  2. Insert the USB drive into the laptop.
  3. Restart the laptop and enter the BIOS/UEFI settings again.
  4. Change the boot order to boot from the USB drive first.
  5. Boot from the USB drive: Save changes and exit BIOS. The laptop should boot from the USB drive.
  6. Select your language preferences and click "Next".
  7. Click "Repair your computer".
  8. Choose "Troubleshoot", then "Advanced options", and then "Startup Repair".

Step 6: Reinstall Windows (if necessary)

If all else fails, you may need to reinstall Windows.

1. Follow steps 1-5 from the previous section to boot from the Windows Installation Media.
  2. Select your language preferences and click "Next".
  3. Click "Install Now".
  4. Follow the on-screen instructions to reinstall Windows. Be aware this will erase all data on the hard drive.

By following these steps, you should be able to diagnose and resolve the "Boot Device Not Found" error on your HP laptop.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.