Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion G6 2210sa
Microsoft Windows 8 (32-bit)

Hi;

I am trying to fix a Laptop for a work colleague.

It is a HP Pavilion G62210sa with a Windows 8 sticker on it (not sure if it is 32 or 64 bit).

At first it would only power on to a black screen however after cleaning it and removing one of two memory modules (the original was 4GB and somone had added an extra 2GB same type but different brand.

Anyway after removing the memory it now boots, but I getan HP Logo and then a black screen with only a mouse pointer?

I can bet into boot options pressing Esc but when I try the F11 option the screen stays blck for ages but eventually the various test options are available. If I try recovery mode it just stays black.

I tried Safe Mode using Command Prompt and I managed to get to the command prompt option and enter the correct command but when re-booting - same black screen problem.

I don't know what the owner did before this happened?

Any ideas - the Laptop obviously works I just need to reset it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
I had tried F11 but I seemed to be getting the same problem. Then I found that you could also hit the Esc key for additional options. Manged to try and get into safe mode but still same problem.
Anyway I tried F11 again and then git a black screen but went off to make T.
When I got back the choose a keyboard layout was on screen. It just took ages for it to show.

Anyway I managed to try the Microsoft System Restore which took forever after which it told me that it had failed.

I rebooted and ta da I was met with the Window sLogin screen.

So looks like it MAY be OK.

Thanks

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@BillAtech

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

The Riddle_Decipher is at your service.

As I Understand the computer boots to the HP logo and then black screen with the mouse pointer,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help you, although, to provide an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern: 

Have you attempted to tap on F11 to access the recovery manager and restore to an earlier time it worked?

Did you attempt to make use of your recovery media since none of the other steps have worked?

Did the issue occur after a recent windows update or bios update?

While you reply, here's something you can do:

Please attempt the below steps:

Perform a hard reset

Attempt a BIOS recovery

Run the System Diagnostics tests

For more steps: click here

Let me know how that pans out, 

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
I had tried F11 but I seemed to be getting the same problem. Then I found that you could also hit the Esc key for additional options. Manged to try and get into safe mode but still same problem.
Anyway I tried F11 again and then git a black screen but went off to make T.
When I got back the choose a keyboard layout was on screen. It just took ages for it to show.

Anyway I managed to try the Microsoft System Restore which took forever after which it told me that it had failed.

I rebooted and ta da I was met with the Window sLogin screen.

So looks like it MAY be OK.

Thanks
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.