Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy Spectre 14-3100
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I'd like to do a full System Recovery/Factory Reset on my Envy Spectre 14-3100 (Win 7) just to clean it up a bit.

I have both the Recovery partition on the original internal SSD and a USB recovery drive which I created according to HP's instructions when the laptop was new.

The thing is, this machine had its main board replaced by an HP Service Center a few years ago - could that cause problems with system recovery?

AFAIK the main board is identical to the old one but I'm unable to say whether the HP technician matched the tattoo/fingerprint of the old MB with the new one. I wasn't provided with a new recovery media.

If I initiate the recovery process through HP Recovery Manager, and the recovery partition and the USB recovery drive both turn out to be non-functional, will the program prompt me BEFORE it starts to irreversibly wipe out the old system? Will I be able to roll back to where I was?

Thanks again.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Okay, so I just took a leap of faith and ran HP's Recovery Manager in order to do a full factory reset.  Surprisingly, it worked without a hitch and I'm back in business!

For everyone considering doing a Factory Reset on a machine with a swapped motherboard: if the technician coded the board to match your old one AND if you're doing a reset from D-partition (not a USB drive) the chances are it's going to turn out A-OK.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Since I do not work for HP, I cannot say but what you need to do is make a backup.  Either use Windows or a third party backup solution BEFORE you do that, whether Recovery Manager works or not.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Copy that, chief. I've backed up all of my personal files, but I haven't cloned the current OS.

I could always buy a new SSD, plug it in (even though it's a fairly complicated operation) and then see if I could fire the notebook up with the USB recovery media.

If it doesn't work, I'll still have the original SSD with the original OS to fall back on.

Then again, I'm not too sure if I want to spend that money so I'd really like to know whether the HP Recovery Manager will prompt me about incompatibility issues before it starts wiping out the old system. 

HP Recommended

Hopefully one of the HP guys will see this and offer their opinion on if it will work.  I have seen others that complain the Recovery Manager will not complete even for a fully normal PC, so here's hoping they answer.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Okay, so I just took a leap of faith and ran HP's Recovery Manager in order to do a full factory reset.  Surprisingly, it worked without a hitch and I'm back in business!

For everyone considering doing a Factory Reset on a machine with a swapped motherboard: if the technician coded the board to match your old one AND if you're doing a reset from D-partition (not a USB drive) the chances are it's going to turn out A-OK.

HP Recommended

That is great!!  Glad it worked!!

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.