Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Probook 455 G3
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I can't install Windows 10. I have removed encryption software from my Probook 455 G3, as well as Windows Defender. Even used the Windows Defender Remover at Raymond.cc to scrub it off completely. I do notice that even after removing encryption that the encryption service still exists, although it never starts. I keep on wondering if the Windows 10 installer gets confused since the original boot record is on the drive 😧 partition, not on C:. I really want to retain my apps, and not have to do a clean install.  Any ideas? Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@samslaptop 

OK ... then you don't really want to INSTALL Win10 -- as that will remove everything.

What you want to do is OVERWRITE it, and you do that as follows:

1) Use this link to download and create Win10 install media on USB Windows 10 download

2) When done, leave the USB stick in your PC, but do not BOOT from it

3) Find the folder where the USB stick is show, right-select startup.exe in that folder, and select Run as Administrator.  This will start an in-place Update of Win10, which should take no more than a couple of hours.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Your steps 1-3 were tried by me weeks ago. 

Any other ideas?

HP Recommended

@samslaptop 

That's known as a repair-install, and if you already tried that, you should have mentioned it.

If that does not work, then your only recourse is to reinstall Win10 from scratch.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I have tried to do a full clean install of Windows 10 with the dvd that came with the laptop, it wouldn't install. I tried a full clean install with a new generic Windows 10 dvd and it wouldn't install. I created a usb media install tool from microsoft, and again tried a full clean install, with no success. A full clean install should wipe the disks so there can't be any drivers or other software left on the disk to interfere. The only other thing is the bios, which I already updated. Strange!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.