Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I keep getting the following error message when it is installing the Bios Update:  C2-Error:  Region is write protected

Anyone know how to fix this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support forum. Welcome onboard !

How about trying to update using the USB method from the BIOS/UEFI >> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00042629/  ?

You might also check this >> http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/SOLVED-Can-not-update-Bios-Probo...

========

Some notes - as mentioned in the articles itself - update only if you really need to. Personally, I do not recommend you do it unless you experience some issues with your existing BIOS and you are sure that the new BIOS will fix it.

General recommendation I provide to users/customers is NOT to upgrade BIOS/UEFI unless they experience any kind of specific BIOS/UEFI issue. Updating just for updaing and just for using the latest verson is not solution. Any kind of update (no matter for what and who relesed it) can fix 2 issues but might introduce 10 more issues. Additionally, upgrading the BIOS (for any vendor) poses more risks because BIOS recovery is not that easy as compared to typical software updates IF something goes wrong.

Same applies for Windows Updates, OS update, drivers updates, etc - upgrade/update IF you have issues which you know are fixed in the newer version or for some severe security issues. Otherwise, keep the existing version as long as possible.

Hope this helps! 🙂 Let me know if you face difficulties or if you have questions

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support forum. Welcome onboard !

How about trying to update using the USB method from the BIOS/UEFI >> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00042629/  ?

You might also check this >> http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/SOLVED-Can-not-update-Bios-Probo...

========

Some notes - as mentioned in the articles itself - update only if you really need to. Personally, I do not recommend you do it unless you experience some issues with your existing BIOS and you are sure that the new BIOS will fix it.

General recommendation I provide to users/customers is NOT to upgrade BIOS/UEFI unless they experience any kind of specific BIOS/UEFI issue. Updating just for updaing and just for using the latest verson is not solution. Any kind of update (no matter for what and who relesed it) can fix 2 issues but might introduce 10 more issues. Additionally, upgrading the BIOS (for any vendor) poses more risks because BIOS recovery is not that easy as compared to typical software updates IF something goes wrong.

Same applies for Windows Updates, OS update, drivers updates, etc - upgrade/update IF you have issues which you know are fixed in the newer version or for some severe security issues. Otherwise, keep the existing version as long as possible.

Hope this helps! 🙂 Let me know if you face difficulties or if you have questions

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

You are correct about resolving this issue.  I ended up going to Chat support and after spending about a half hour, the tech ended up saying the same thing you said, don't update the Bios.  He did something to take off the ! on the HP support  ? icon that notified me to update the Bios.  He also said that HP sends out the update to all users and sometimes the update does not apply to all PC and laptop owners.  If that is the case, this can happen again.  If it does, I assume all I need to do is to trash the update message. Correct?

HP Recommended

Yes, you can open HP Support Assistant (HPSA) and ignore/trash the update message.

You can also open HP Support Assistant, go to its settings and configure it so that HPSA never checks automatically for updates. Instead, you can check for updates whenever you want , as often you find appropriate. Note, that if your drivers work correctly now, you do NOT need to update them unless you experience problems or unless very high severity security issue occurs (which is highly unlikely to happen).

You can also completely uninstall HPSA - while it is good and helpful software, it is not mandatory for your PC to run it. If you use Windows 10, you can update your drivers via Windows Update or via Device Manager. Info >> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03330139

Cheers !

HP Recommended

I think your answer was so much better than what I went through dealing with the HP Support Chat Technician. Thank you for providing the answers I needed so I could understand them!

HP Recommended

You are very welcome ! 🙂  My pleasure.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.