Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Laptop 13-ad1xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Can't update Windows 10 "We couldn't update the system reserved partition." Tried Microsoft help from 3:00pm to 12:35am

Have an extensive list of things I followed, but still get he same problem. Two error codes came up during the process: 

1.  Error code 0xc1900201

2.  “There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x80070422)”

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@TDMIA here's a few solutions I've managed to find specifically for you and this should help get the same sorted:

Solution 1: Free up space on your System Reserved partition

1. Press the “Windows logo” key + R. Type diskmgmt.msc into the Run dialog and press Enter.
  2. Under the list of mounted volumes in the Disk Management window is a partition map.
  3. In this partition map, the first partition will be named System Reserved or Data and will (most likely) be 100 Megabytes in size.
  4. Right-click on this hard disk partition and click on Change drive letters and paths.
  5. Click on Add. Open the drop-down menu in front of the Assign the following drive letter option, select as the drive letter and click on OK.
  6. If you’re using Windows 7, search for cmd in the Start Menu, right-click on the result titled cmd and click on Run as administrator.
  7. If you’re using Windows 8/10, simply press the Windows Logo key + to open the WinX Menu and click on Command Prompt (Admin). This will open an elevated Command Prompt that has administrative privileges.
  8. Type the following commands into the elevated Command Prompt, pressing Enter after typing in each one in order to execute it:

Y: takeown /f  . /r /d y icacls . /grant administrator:F /t attrib -h -s -r bootmgr

Note: In the icacls command, substitute administrator with your username. To find out your username, type whoami into a Command Prompt and press Enter. For example, if your username is home, the icacls command will look something like the following:

icacls . /grant home:F /t

You can ignore >>log.txt in the commands above, I did it so I could show them all in one place to skip results.

Open a Windows Explorer window and navigate to the drive. Make sure that both the Don’t show hidden files, folders or drives option and the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option in Organize Folder and search options > View are disabled.

Navigate to the Boot folder in the drive. Delete all of the languages in the Boot folder except for en-US and any other language(s) that you actually use and need on your computer. Once done, empty the Recycle bin to make sure that they have been deleted permanently. Open a new elevated Command Prompt (a Command Prompt with administrative privileges). Type the following command in the elevated Command Prompt and then press Enter:

chkdsk Y: /F /X /sdcleanup /L:5000

Once the command stated in the last step has been executed, the NTFS log file of the System Reserved partition will have been trimmed down to around 5 Megabytes, leaving at least 50 Megabytes of free space on the partition(which is half the amount of storage space the partition has be default!).

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us, 

have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@TDMIA here's a few solutions I've managed to find specifically for you and this should help get the same sorted:

Solution 1: Free up space on your System Reserved partition

1. Press the “Windows logo” key + R. Type diskmgmt.msc into the Run dialog and press Enter.
  2. Under the list of mounted volumes in the Disk Management window is a partition map.
  3. In this partition map, the first partition will be named System Reserved or Data and will (most likely) be 100 Megabytes in size.
  4. Right-click on this hard disk partition and click on Change drive letters and paths.
  5. Click on Add. Open the drop-down menu in front of the Assign the following drive letter option, select as the drive letter and click on OK.
  6. If you’re using Windows 7, search for cmd in the Start Menu, right-click on the result titled cmd and click on Run as administrator.
  7. If you’re using Windows 8/10, simply press the Windows Logo key + to open the WinX Menu and click on Command Prompt (Admin). This will open an elevated Command Prompt that has administrative privileges.
  8. Type the following commands into the elevated Command Prompt, pressing Enter after typing in each one in order to execute it:

Y: takeown /f  . /r /d y icacls . /grant administrator:F /t attrib -h -s -r bootmgr

Note: In the icacls command, substitute administrator with your username. To find out your username, type whoami into a Command Prompt and press Enter. For example, if your username is home, the icacls command will look something like the following:

icacls . /grant home:F /t

You can ignore >>log.txt in the commands above, I did it so I could show them all in one place to skip results.

Open a Windows Explorer window and navigate to the drive. Make sure that both the Don’t show hidden files, folders or drives option and the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option in Organize Folder and search options > View are disabled.

Navigate to the Boot folder in the drive. Delete all of the languages in the Boot folder except for en-US and any other language(s) that you actually use and need on your computer. Once done, empty the Recycle bin to make sure that they have been deleted permanently. Open a new elevated Command Prompt (a Command Prompt with administrative privileges). Type the following command in the elevated Command Prompt and then press Enter:

chkdsk Y: /F /X /sdcleanup /L:5000

Once the command stated in the last step has been executed, the NTFS log file of the System Reserved partition will have been trimmed down to around 5 Megabytes, leaving at least 50 Megabytes of free space on the partition(which is half the amount of storage space the partition has be default!).

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us, 

have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.