Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 360 m6 convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just bought a new HP Envy x360 M6 convertible laptop. i was very excited.

But I cannot sign in to Windows 10 to use my new laptop.

The problem occurred during initial setup of the device, so as yet, I have never successfully signed in to Windows 10 on my new laptop. I am writing to you now on my Desktop PC.

Bear with me, this is a long story. I will try to make it as clear as possible.

When I turned on my laptop for the first time, and I was going through the setup procedure, it wanted me to log into my Microsoft website account. That's when the problems started.

I attempted to log in using my existing Microsoft account, using my email 

Due to some glitch, it would not log in to my account. It would say something like "logging in, please wait" and that little circle thing would start spinning, but it would never complete logging in, even after twenty minutes.

I was eager to use my new laptop, so to work around the problem I attempted to create a new Microsoft account using an alternate email, 55fireflite@........ But is mistyped the domain name and left the z out of verizon. I discovered this when the setup was complete.

Windows 10 decided to use the email and password from my Microsoft website account as my screen name and password on my laptop. It appeared on the login screen with the z missing, and when I tried to log in, it would not accept my password. Maybe I miss-typed the password too, I don’t know. It blanks it out so you can’t see what you are typing.

I had no idea Windows 10 was not going to let me choose my own screen name and password for my laptop. If I did, I would not have used that email to set up new microsoft account. I would have waited until the morning and tried again.

So anyway, I went back to my Desktop PC. I went to microsoft.com and attempted to sign into the 55fireflite account (with the misspelled domain name), and it would not accept my password there either. So I tried to reset my password.

I simply couldn’t have it send me a reset email because the email address was invalid. It did give you the option of sending an email to a different email address if you couldn't access the first one, so I did that (using my regular email address).

Still with me here?

I got the email, and I used the code in that email to try to create a new password for the 55fireflite account. I filled out the form with my name, state, zip code, favorite color and so forth. I got an email back saying it wouldn't give me a new password because it didn’t have enough information validate my account ownership. That might be because it asked for previous passwords, and I didn’t enter any, obviously because I created the account ten minutes ago.

So as of right now, I cannot sign on to Windows 10 on my laptop. When type my password and click enter, I get the error message "You can't sign in to your device right now. Go to account.live.com to fix the problem, or try the last password you used on this device."

I was able to get to the website on my iPhone using the account.live.com address, but then I got an error message telling me had made too many unsuccessful attempts to log in to my account and it was locked for 24 hours.

So as of right now cannot sign into Windows, and instead of a new new laptop, I have a $500 doorstop.

I have already started a conversation at the Microsoft website. The tech guy is still trying to understand the problem, but some nice person suggested I contact the manufacturer. So here I am.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @MrCopCar

Welcome to the HP Support forum ! Thank you for posting.

Congratulations on choosing your new HP computer - you have made a great choice with this model.

With regards to your issue - i did read your detailed description. Thank you for this.

I recommend you to :

1) perform HP Recovery (factory Reset) and restore the computer to factory default condition

2) setup the PC initially and login initially with a local account - not with Microsoft online account

Details:

1) Every HP computer which has Windows preinstalled comes with a recovery partition present to assist in tough moments. It can help you restore the PC to a condition it was initially.

1.1) Please, shutdown the computer using the power button (pressed and hold for a few seconds until PC powers off)

1.2) Power the computer back on.

1.3) As soon as you press the power-on button, immediately begin hitting the Esc button (like tap-tap-tap) before any logo appears. This should open a HP Startup Menu

1.4) Choose F11 for System Recovery options.

1.5) Follow the on-screen instructions to load TROUBLESHOOT and them perform RESET of the system or load Recovery Manager / HP Recovery

Instructions >> http://hp.dezide.com/ts/start.jsp?guide=HPSystemRecovery.net&section=ccweb&sfs=tdoc&lc=en&language=e...

After the recovery completes

2) Do not login with Microsoft account. Instead, choose the option to create a local account.

During the setup you will be able to find the option (however, it will be slightly hidden).

>> http://www.thewindowsclub.com/install-windows-10-local-account

Enjoy your new computer.

Should you decide to migrate this PC to a Microsoft account - this will be possible. You can go it from Start button > Settings

Note that your computer needs to be online during the "migration" to Microsoft account.

In case you cannot login to your account with Microsoft, HP cannot help as this is Microsoft thing. Contact Microsoft for assistance with the account itself :

>> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/answerdesk/chat/default.aspx?productkey=awasahome

>> https://account.microsoft.com/account/Account?destrt=home-index

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello @MrCopCar

Welcome to the HP Support forum ! Thank you for posting.

Congratulations on choosing your new HP computer - you have made a great choice with this model.

With regards to your issue - i did read your detailed description. Thank you for this.

I recommend you to :

1) perform HP Recovery (factory Reset) and restore the computer to factory default condition

2) setup the PC initially and login initially with a local account - not with Microsoft online account

Details:

1) Every HP computer which has Windows preinstalled comes with a recovery partition present to assist in tough moments. It can help you restore the PC to a condition it was initially.

1.1) Please, shutdown the computer using the power button (pressed and hold for a few seconds until PC powers off)

1.2) Power the computer back on.

1.3) As soon as you press the power-on button, immediately begin hitting the Esc button (like tap-tap-tap) before any logo appears. This should open a HP Startup Menu

1.4) Choose F11 for System Recovery options.

1.5) Follow the on-screen instructions to load TROUBLESHOOT and them perform RESET of the system or load Recovery Manager / HP Recovery

Instructions >> http://hp.dezide.com/ts/start.jsp?guide=HPSystemRecovery.net&section=ccweb&sfs=tdoc&lc=en&language=e...

After the recovery completes

2) Do not login with Microsoft account. Instead, choose the option to create a local account.

During the setup you will be able to find the option (however, it will be slightly hidden).

>> http://www.thewindowsclub.com/install-windows-10-local-account

Enjoy your new computer.

Should you decide to migrate this PC to a Microsoft account - this will be possible. You can go it from Start button > Settings

Note that your computer needs to be online during the "migration" to Microsoft account.

In case you cannot login to your account with Microsoft, HP cannot help as this is Microsoft thing. Contact Microsoft for assistance with the account itself :

>> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/answerdesk/chat/default.aspx?productkey=awasahome

>> https://account.microsoft.com/account/Account?destrt=home-index

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

I used the recovery manager. IT WORKED!!! I'M IN!!!

As you suggested I skipped logging in to Microsoft and I able to set up my screen name and password.

Microsoft was no help at all.

Thank you so much. I am now enjoying my new laptop.

Tom

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot. Microsoft blocked my account on a brand new HP x360, because I probably entered the wrong birth year while setting the account. It did give me an option to change it, except it would not accept the changes, locking out my new laptop instead. All that without any chance to cancel. Thanks to you though, I'm on my way to reconfigure it again.

Best,

Henski

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.