Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Laptop 15-da1xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Yesterday, at 23:50 (11:50 PM) i received and initiated a installation of Windows 10 v1903, going from v1809. The installation was performed with Windows Update and the computer was left on and undisturbed whilst doing so.

After the installation was performed the state was that the installation was not successful. The exact error was not written down, however, the installation halted due to an error. So the computer was not entering sleep mode as that was turned off, it didn't even turn off the screen, as the power mode is set to performance. 

So, when this happened, another error was also discovered. That when i started, the AC adapter was plugged in, it WAS charging and WAS working. But when i got back, the battery was down to 17%. 

As i didn't have time to fix it then and there, i turned it off and went my way with the day and returned. The power was back to 99% and i noticed that the computer was no longer charging. The adapter is obviously working and has never been dropped, moved or fallen under pressure. The computer is 3 months old and is rarely used.

Battery test: OK, no errors at all

Hardware diagnostics: PASS, no errors

Recover this PC: done, no change

Installed all latest updates for drivers provided by HP support assistant: Yes

Tried uninstalling Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery: Yes, version 10.0.17763.1 is installed directly and also tried uninstalling, rebooting and doing so without the AC adapter, no change.

The computer is charged whilst turned off completely: Yes

The computer is charged whilst on: No

The battery is discharging normally: Yes

The battery jumps in percentage: No

The battery is a spare part: No, not the ac-adapter either, it's HP parts

The device has ever been opened from its casing: No

Used: Yes, only at home, never even left the one room its in, no kids or pets at all 

The battery is decreasing normally and takes several hours before draining completely as no heavy tasks is running. The computer died normally when the battery was drained and the computer works without the AC-adapter.

The battery indicator is clearly visible, but does not change from unplugged to plugged (charging) when inserted. The LED on the side changes correctly from no light, to white and amber whilst charging between 0-99%. When in Windows the LED is bright white and does not flicker, stop or ever turn off. There is no flex or play in the AC-input jack and the computer is overall working very well. The fault was introduced whilst trying to install a Windows Upgrade from 1809 to 1903, on the 2nd of July 2019.

Could this be due to some cached data about the battery or a stuck state of some relay controlling the current for charging the battery? The battery is not removable on this model as it is under the bottom plate of the computer. 

I've read https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Laptop-only-charges-when-turne...

and many people seem to be having the same issue and i would suppose the issue lays in some form of driver or software as the error is only while the computer is ON, and NOT when it is OFF.

Given yes, it's a cheap computer, 400 $ but I find it very odd for this to be the error and this is my first __ever__ laptop being a HP and first ever computer i've owned that has this kind of issue.

Been working in IT for 12 years and been working with companies over 200'000 units being taken care of but NEVER ever had the pleasure of seing this error. So, i am very curious as to why this exists. 

PS:
I've followed guides as of how to uninstalling the devices under battery in device manager with no success.

Questions:

IS this a common fault? Would the error be related to the ac adapter as the charging is done when turned off? How come the error was so perfectly presented in a software upgrade-situation and breaks already after 3 months in that case?

How would one go to solve this - seemingly simple problem?

Edit:

The neighbours has an identical computer and so i asked to borrow the adapter to rule out a HW-error.

The adapter is plugged in, has power and has also for once tested another wall jack and still, the same issue. Other devices such as a TV, lamp or phone charger works on the same outlet. 

So i rule out a HW-error as the error is not reproducible with an identical charger (we both have the exact same model, and exact same adapter).

I would believe that a form of assisting software like a driver or such was introduced during the failed update. 

Any suggestions?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@itstechnical
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

I have a few troubleshooting steps, you could perform to isolate the issue:

Let's run the hardware diagnostics test on battery and Charger:

Use the following steps to open the Component Tests menu.

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  3. On the main menu, click Component Tests.
  4. The Component Tests menu displays. Your Component Tests menu might be different, depending on the components installed on your computer.
  5. To run both tests simultaneously, in the Component Tests menu, click Power Source, and then click Run once. Each component can also be tested individually.

AC Adapter Test:

The AC Adapter test provides an interactive test to determine if the AC power adapter is functioning properly. A good battery is required for this test. Before running the AC Adapter Test, HP recommends verifying that your computer can receive power by connecting a known working AC adapter.

Follow these steps to perform the AC Adapter Test.

• In the Component Tests menu, click Power, and then click an AC Adapter Test.
  • Click Run once.
  • The AC Adapter Test begins.
  • When the test is complete, the results are displayed on the screen.

Battery Test:

Follow these steps to perform the Battery Test:

1. In the Component Tests menu, click Power, and then click Battery.
  2. Click Run once. The Battery Test begins.
  3. When the battery test is complete, the results are displayed on the screen. For additional battery information, click Battery Details.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.