Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Chromebook 14c-ca0000 x360 (9GC62AV)
Chrome OS

Every time I start my Chromebook (HP Chromebook 14c-ca0000 x360 (9GC62AV)), I get a message that says, "Firmware updating. Do not turn off or unplug any device while update is in progress. This may take a few minutes." Every single time. My Chromebook is up-to-date otherwise. I've done internet searches and couldn't find anyone else describing the issue. It's only been happening for the last 3 weeks or so (since the last big ChromeOS update). The laptop works but I'd rather the firmware be updated if needed. 

Picture of errorPicture of error

UPDATE 10/10/2021: I reinstalled ChromeOS (via USB recovery method). All was fine until I turned on the Linux environment and started adding Linux apps. The firmware screen is back on every reboot. Makes me think it's normal but doesn't necessarily show unless there is some type of slow start up (which could be the case if the Linux environment adds a few seconds to start up). The Chromebook works fine but the firmware update message makes me think something is not quite right. Oh well. I've gotten zero help from HP and no one seems to know anything about this on the tech forums.

UPDATE 10/16/2021: My Chromebook updated to 94 and the issue resolved itself. I am no longer seeing the firmware update screen.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

10/16/2021: My chromebook updated to OS Version 94.0.4606.97 and the issue resolved itself. I am no longer seeing the firmware update screen on every reboot.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

same problem here

HP Recommended

Had the same problem. Changing the Chrome OS channel from Stable to Developer fixed it for me. 

Don't see the firmware update screen anymore even after switching back to stable channel.

HP Recommended

10/16/2021: My chromebook updated to OS Version 94.0.4606.97 and the issue resolved itself. I am no longer seeing the firmware update screen on every reboot.

HP Recommended

See if you can update your Chromebook to OS Version 94 (just came out). That's what fixed the issue for me.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.