Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Probook 470 G5 (4QW93EA)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought a new HP notebook from a large German dealer, today it was delivered.

When starting Windows 10 asks the usual questions and at some point you should enter your mail address.

At this point a company was already given, Windows only accepts email addresses with the "right" domain.

I called the dealer support and the colleague suggested to install a new Windows via creation tool.

Unfortunately this does not work. Also reformatting the disks always shows the company when you start the internet connection.

Is the serial number of this computer perhaps already linked to this company at Microsoft and I cannot install my "own" Windows?

I am really angry... 😞

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Kentener 

OK... are you angry because you purchased a suspect machine?

Or are you angry at the tools that might help you overcome the issue but cannot do so?

Sure, there might be something going on with the computer - "new" computers do not refuse the let the owner create a Microsoft account to log into the Windows Operating System.

New computers do not include a Company Name at boot.

New computers do not require formatting or other extreme measures to get them to work properly.

There is no fix for a system on which even formatting the disks does not work.

The offending company name is buried in the BIOS.

Were it me, I'd return a computer that won't let you treat it as a new computer on which you are the first user.

Proposed Solution:  Contact the seller - arrange to return the computer for a refund.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a volunteer community workforce dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the help.

If the answer helped resolve your issue, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi,

i am mainly angry because i bought the device from one of the biggest german notebook dealers.

I don't want to mention any names here now.

If there is no reasonable solution, I will of course return the part.

But I'm just wondering how the mechanism works which makes sure that even after formatting the disk the company appears.

In my opinion the PC is already registered with Microsoft, I don't really believe in a special BIOS version.

But I will try to clarify that tomorrow...

HP Recommended

@Kentener 

OK.

Apologies . You don't need a special BIOS.  When a computer consistently produces a company name at the login screen, that name is not part of the Operating System (and cannot be removed with disk format).  The name is embedded in the only other part of the operational part of the computer - typically this is the BIOS.

You should not have to deal with any of this, frankly.

I could be missing something, of course.

To me, it all sounds rather odd that your new computer is not "new".

I would guess the whole issue was unintended - a call to the merchant should help you resolve the problem.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community .

We are a volunteer community workforce dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.