Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 17t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I wasn't sure where to post as I have several questions. I tired to use CHAT, but kept getting a message that it could not be connected, and the session ended, so I thought I'd try to ask my questions here. Please move this to the right board if need be. This laptop is still under warranty so I should be able to contact Support, it seems.

1. Indicator lights on Envy 17t? Is there a way to tell when the laptop is sleeping? Will the drive light blink or something?

2. I have been having an issue with the laptop not waking from sleep and after reading all of the HP info, I haven't gotten an answer - thus wanting to CHAT with someone directly. My most recent concern - if the laptop is sleeping and I disconnect the charger, it wakes up - why and how do I stop that? I have configured it to wake when the lid is opened or the power button is pressed - and so far that has worked. If it wakes when I disconnect the charger and I don't realize it is not sleeping, that is going to cause battery issues.

3. What kind of USB port is located on the right side of this laptop near the charging port? It says USB with some kind of thunderbolt icon. How is that different from my other 2 USBs on the left side?

Thanks for any help. If anyone can tell me why I can't connect to CHAT for these questions, I appreciate it - and also, any answers to these questions.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi@TNorth1, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I reviewed your post and I understand that the USB keyboard light is not going off when the computer goes to sleep.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

In order that I may provide you with an accurate solution, I will need a few more details.

• When was the last time the keyboard was working fine?
  • Have you made any software or hardware changes on the computer?
  • Have you performed any troubleshooting steps before posting?

While you respond to that, I would like to inform you that the keyboard is still on when the computer goes to sleep and we can turn it off. However, if we do that you will not be able to wake up the computer with the keyboard.

If that is fine with you, follow the below steps.

Step 1 – Press the Windows logo key and R simultaneously moreover, when the Power user menu appears, hit M on the keyboard. After a few moments, the Device Manager will open.

Step 2 – Locate Mice and other pointing devices in the list then make a double-click on it. Once this option spreads, right-click on the HID-compliant mouse furthermore, choose Properties from the contextual menu list.

Name:  Device_Manager-1.png
Views: 24923
Size:  35.3 KB

Step 3 – Press on the Power management tab to switch to, and untick the box just prior to “Allow this device to wake the computer”. Finally, click OK.

Let's check the power setting on the notebook. 

Check Power options, Advanced settings - Screen is similar to this, just enable or disable it depending on your current setup. And please post back the result.

undefined

Then, Update the drivers using the HP Support Assistant.

Click on this link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03467905 for Using HP Support Assistant

Please find the document HP PCs - Sleep and Hibernate Issues (Windows 10, 😎 LINK

Keep me posted. Happy to help!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply, but that really wasn't my question. Sorry not to have been more clear.

I want to know about the hard drive activity indicator light - not the power button or the charging port light - the hard drive activity light that is on the left side of the laptop next to the headphone jack,

When  i access the drive with any commands, it will flash with a tiny white light, showing that it is in use, I believe.

I have seen that same light be a constant orange and wanted to know what that means - is that an indication that the computer is sleeping, or that the battery is low, or something else? In the past, once the computer reached sleep mode, no light was lit - but more recently I have also seen that orange light when I thought the laptop was sleeping?

Why isn't there a clear indication of sleep mode - my Lenovo Thinkpad has an actual sleep indicator light right on the lid of the laptop, along with a battery indicator for charging. Very convenient - why doesn't HP have something like that as well?

If possible,. please explain the meaning of those hard drive indicator lights.

Everything else seems to be working OK now - I haven't used sleep as much - just turn the laptop off when not in use.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

@TNorth1,

We have done the basic troubleshooting as per the document and the notebook needs to checked taking remote access so that get to know it's a hardware or software issue.

I'd suggest you contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your computer or HP Chat Support Team.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.