Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi @bob-7,

I read your response comprehensively. You've shown remarkable technical expertise, profound knowledge coupled with infinite patience to try and resolve the issue. Kudos to you for a job well done. 🙂  As @The_Fossette is out of office for the day, I am taking over from here. If the issue is resolved by disabling this service, please check how it pans out for a few days. If you think it is still necessary to enable the service then I will give you a few tips to try and resolve the issue.

• Please create a new administrator User account from here http://hp.care/2rZfJBC and check if that fixes the issue. Ideally, it should.
  • Please Update all your HP drivers and the bios using HP support assistant and ensure that the Microsoft updates are completed from here http://hp.care/2sTZOFK as well.
  • Please update your security software and run a complete spyware and virus scan on your computer to eliminate any malware or malicious code
  • As a last resort, you could also perform a Microsoft push button reset from here http://hp.care/2sGcqPU that resets the computer without causing data loss.

This should do the trick for you.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

It looks like disabling the diagnostic service policy seems to have fixed the high CPU usage.  This was my own solution, though, and I was wondering if there are any downsides or risks to doing this???

FYI I had already updated all of the drivers and security software.  As I mentioned earlier I was not able to update the bios even after trying the two approaches your colleague suggested so I gave up on that. 

HP Recommended

Hi @bob-7,

Good work. If disabling the service has not caused you any problems then don't worry about it. you could update the bios using HP support assistant or by downloading the bios to a USB flash drive and updating it,

If the computer is working correctly, then the best thing to do is leave it alone. DOn't try the bios update.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

how did you set the diagnostic services??

HP Recommended

This is a really bad idea. DPS is a part of the MSoft OS and services. Killing it can lead to other mysterious problems, and Windows won't be able to solve them. Turning it off, is like turning off the fire alarm, instead of putting out the fire.

HP Recommended

These are all good ideas, but note that the last one - doing a system reset - does not really solve the problem, it says - "I give up, start over with a bare machine image". that means reinstalling all programs, settings. options, serial numbers and registrations ... everything. It requires having copies of all software you have insalled, and all registration information, passwords, everything. It is a big deal, and can take a lot of time to get your system back.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.