Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion x360 convertible pc

My laptop shutdown randomly and got stuck in the blue screen not moving past automatic repair. Did a full reset, but it will not move past the screen with the HP logo. You can hear it start up, but then the screen goes black and can't hear the sound anymore. How can I fix this? ( I have windows10 but can't remember if its 32 or 64 bit.)

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@G006 

Unfortunately, it appears to be an urban legend that a full system restore is some kind of "miracle cure" that will fix an ailing PC, regardless of what is wrong with it -- but the harsh reality is quite the opposite, in that it can render the PC useless.

A full system restore is very hard on a PC as it reformats the ENTIRE drive, removing ALL the partitions, and then recreates all those partitions, populating all of them from scratch. On a healthy modern PC, this can take 2 hours or more; on an older PC, this can take most of a day. On a failing PC, this will nearly always halt before completing, leaving the PC in a coprrupted state -- due to the failing drive.

BEFORE any such step was taken, the drive should have been tested for worthiness.

The HP Logo is contained in the firmware of the motherboard so displaying it does not require using the hard drive extensively. But, if your PC boot process does not get beyond that, this could be an indication that the hard drive has died -- as it then would not be able to find or load the Windows boot files.

If your PC is new enough to support UEFI, you can use these steps to test the hard drive: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00439024

If not, to check the drive you have to follow these steps:
1) Press Esc key repeatedly, several times a second, while rebooting the laptop. Do NOT hold the key down, just press it over and over.
2) Eventually, you will see an HP Startup Menu -- that will look similar to the image below ...
HP Startup Menu.jpg
3) press the Function key for testing the hard drive (usually F2) and let it run.

Please report back the test results.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hello, thank you for your input. I tried the test as suggested and it passed. 

HP Recommended

@G006 

OK, if the drive is good, then try these troubleshooting steps from HP:  http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-dv9700-Entertainment-Notebook-PC-series/3632106/mode...

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Unfortunately, couldn't much with this. Tested the memory, which is fine.

I assume at this point, need to take it somewhere for repair. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.