Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Ultrabook 15-b029st
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My computer model  HP Pavilion Ultrabook 15-B029st   

I recently installed a 480GB SSD SATA disk on my computer.  I also upgraded to 8GB ram. but my video card is nvidia geforce 630m  When I used my windows 8 operating system before, I could play some games without any problems and I could use some applications.  However, after the OS upgrade, the GPU load on my computer is a bit too much for the Windows 10 operating system.  Apart from that, I do not have any problems with many processes and internet applications or programs, it works stably. So, if I want to downgrade my operating system to Windows 8, is this a logical decision or is there any harm in using Windows 10?  Adsız.png

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately, since your notebook was not supported by HP for W10, there is no W10 Nvidia graphics driver for the Nvidia gt 630m graphics adapter your notebook comes with.

Have you tried out the W10 graphics driver from Nvidia to see if that performs better than what you had after the in-place upgrade to W10.

GeForce Game Ready Driver | 391.35 | Windows 10 64-bit | NVIDIA

If you have, or if the above driver doesn't make things better, I suggest you revert to W8.1 before the 10-day period to go back expires.

HP Recommended

Actually i had an SSD installed in my computer i took out my old HDD disk   Of course, we can have problems in some high-graphics games.  for example : ( Pro Evolution Soccer 2014-2015-2016)  I was able to play these game versions without any problems when I was using the Windows 8 operating system.  I could even play these games comfortably with the Windows 8 operating system, even though there was a HDD disk before and with 4GB RAM memory.   With the ram upgrade, my ram capacity increased to 8GB, I had an SSD disk installed.  I upgraded my operating system to Windows 10    Of course, the Windows 8 operating system will soon lose security and system support.   We can use the Internet and program applications without any problems, except for some games on my computer.   We can play old games with low graphics   Do you think it is unreasonable to downgrade to the Windows 8 operating system in general?

HP Recommended

As I wrote yesterday, if you installed the W10 Nvidia driver I posted and it didn't help, I see no other option but to go back to W8.1 if you want everything to work correctly.

HP Recommended

Well, I have a question for you. If I use the Windows 8 operating system, since Windows Security and Software update support will be cut off, some security protections will not be active, but will using Windows 8 cause any harm to my computer? But I think the performance will increase more when I use Windows 8   When I first bought my computer, it came with the Windows 8 operating system.   Installing an SSD in my computer only has an effect on the fast opening of programs, but it does not even have a serious effect on performance.   Is it possible that I need to use the Windows 8 operating system?   I installed the nvidia driver you recommended to me, but some program does not support some functions because my computer is old.

HP Recommended

Other than not getting any fixes or security updates for W8, I don't see any issues with running on W8 for as long as you want.

I have a PC running on Windows XP and one running on W7 and they work fine.

The one that runs on W7 even continues to get the virus definition updates for Microsoft security essentials.

It also gets the monthly Windows malicious software removal tool via Windows Update.

That is the only update it has gotten since W7 went out of support in January 2020.

Perhaps W8.1 will continue to get the virus definition updates for Windows defender as well.

You would have to wait and see after January 2023 goes by.

Since you tried the W10 Nvidia driver and it didn't help, you probably should go back to W8.1 until you can replace the notebook with a newer one that has support for W11.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your valuable information, I just realized one more thing.  After I upgraded my computer to the Windows 10 operating system, it started to heat up more GPU heating was not too much when I was using Windows 8, Windows 10, some programs are overloading, using the video card more

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, that makes sense because the installed driver is not the right one.

The GPU will run hot with no driver or the wrong one installed.

Now, there is one thing you can try before going back to W8, and that is this...

See if installing the W8.1 Nvidia graphics driver from your notebook's support page also works on W10 too.

This was the latest one HP released for your notebook.

Driver - HP Pavilion Ultrabook 15-b029st | HP® Customer Support

HP Recommended

I will download and install this video card driver now but it is a compatible driver for windows 8 so is it correct to install it on windows 10?  

HP Recommended

Give it a try.

What have you got to lose?

Nothing else has worked so far.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.