Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 17-j166no
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, this HP Envy 17-j166no has a cracked screen and I have tried to make it only display to an external monitor for startup & BIOS etc (before it loads into Windows) without success. I even completely detached the screen from the base so LVDS cable is disconnected etc. But the computer still thinks the laptop screen exists.

It only has HDMI output.

Does anyone have a complete map of the BIOS so I can navigate it blindly? Or have another method to display to HDMI during boot. I have already tried with closed lid, F4 / Fn+F4, magnet on the sensor etc. Nothing works.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@pralinen 

The issue is that the external screen does not display until the windows drivers are loaded for it -- and that does not happen during the POST activities.  So, there is no way to replace the internal screen with an external screen to monitor the POST and boot activities.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I see, that is unfortunate. I hope this has been addressed on newer laptops. If desktop computers can view POST, BIOS etc. through HDMI before the OS has loaded I do not see why it wouldn't be possible for laptops as well.

In that case I would appreciate a map of the BIOS so I can navigate blindly. I hope HP archive each model 😛

For those that still have unbroken screens, make your own maps of the BIOS; you might need it someday.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.